Armored Catfish (Callichthys Callichthys)

jeremoose

Hey all, just got this guy at the auction on the weekend and he is beat up BAD. Has absolutely no whiskers left, all his fins are thrashed. Does he have any hope of recovering his whiskers? I know they're important for catfish to locate food in the substrate. I did watch him eating some Hikari pellets and some NLS so at least he's eating. Anyways, I hope somebody here can give me a positive prognosis here!

Additionally, does anyone have some more for sale or know where I can get some? I'd like to get a small group together.

armoredcatfish.jpg

Good for you for saving him. If I'd seen this fish I would not have let him be auctioned, and would have had a chat with the seller. They are super hardy and so I think that he will survive. Hopefully his whiskers will grow back, but that is tough to speculate. As for more, they are very rarely imported anymore, so your chances of obtaining some more aren't good. So if you get a chance to get more jump on it.

Did he come out of the bag like that? Or did he get too close to those breeding Convicts in the background? Either way, you may want to relocate him to quieter quarters to recover.

I remember seeing this guy in the bag, and his tail was like it was in the pic. I wasn't sure if he was supposed to look like that. He was very docile in the bag not really moving at all when I picked up the bag.

He looked exactly like this straight out of the bag, he's found a really nice hidey-holy in the 150g. If I notice any aggression whatsoever towards him I'll move him out. I noticed how bad he was at the auction and decided I was getting him no matter what, lol. Felt awful for the guy.

EDIT: might throw him in his own 20g if I notice any aggression unless you guys think I should do it anyways? He's found a nice spot in the 150g so do I risk more stress on him moving him to the 20?

Edited by jeremoose

He's found a nice spot, he's eating... probably leave him. The 150 is probably quite stable, which would be difficult to do in a new 20g

He's found a nice spot, he's eating... probably leave him. The 150 is probably quite stable, which would be difficult to do in a new 20g

Okay thanks for the help. I'll keep this thread updated with his progress.

The only concern I would have for him in the 150 would be if he was getting any food. If he can't compete with the other fish then maybe consider feeding him at night when the lights are out.

I was worried about that at first as well but he's doing amazing in this tank. When I put the food in he's at the top of the tank skimming the surface with the cichlids while my sun cats patrol the bottom, he's fitting in royally.

• 5 weeks later...

Just as an update: he's doing great. ALL of his fins have filled right in and he comes right to the surface at feeding time and skims around the surface with all the other fish, he's FAR more active than my Eclipse Cats. Sorry about the blurry picture, now that he's healed up he never stops moving.

lz13.jpg

I sure hope his barbels come back :(