Help Please! Stupid Hydras!

McTurtle

So there are hydras in my 10 gallon planted tank. The tank is currently home to 7 cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp, 2 ottos and a turtle nerite (snail). I have been wondering why I've seen pregnant rcs but no shrimplets... I guess I have my answer! I don't want to chemically treat the tank because from what I've read I'll never be able to return the nerite. The other option seems to be a spixi snail. I'm going to hunt around and see if I can find one in Edmonton tomorrow.

Does anyone know if the spixi snail will bother my nerite snail? I don't care if he eats the ramshorn snails etc, but I will be upset if he bothers my nerite.

Spixies don't get along we'll with other snails. Go get safe guard, it's a dog de-wormer and it worked wonders in my 10gal dwarf shrimp tank. I still have nuisance snails in there. The safe guard got rid of hydra and planaria worms, but left the snails, shrimp, and plants in perfect condition.

I know all tanks have different variables & I'm not sure how it would effect your nerite snail but in my situation safe guard didn't harm fish,shrimp or plants but destroyed mts & pond snails but did not effect ramshorn snails?

Be careful !!

I find that when food is plentiful Spixis don't bother anyone (but that's probably why you have Hydra - an over abundance of food). When food's a bit more scarce, they'll turn to eating plants. I haven't seen them bother other snails, tho. When my shrimp don't get enough calcium, they start eating Spixis shells - I have a couple adults that have shells so pitted, I'm amazed their still alive!

Thanks. I probably have been over feeding. The food was all gone but I think my Amanos ran off with it and then dropped it somewhere instead of eating it.

I've read on many forums that safeguard is toxic to nerites. So much so that even with water changes and a carbon filter in place the nerites die when re-introduced to the tank. So I'm hesitant to go that route. I'm thinking the spixi snail could visit to clean up the hydras and then move to another tank as his permanent home. Maybe with the more peaceful of my bettas.

Edited by McTurtle

So 2 was the wrong number. Found one spixi eating the other this morning. Jerk! The victim has a piece missing from his foot. He's living in a Tupperware for the moment. I also relocated my nerite to a separate tank to prevent a possible attack.

Edited by McTurtle

Ummm... I think that was mating... :blush: Just so happened that your 2 were boy and girl.

The hydras seem to be fewer. I lost one cherry shrimp yesterday. :cry: I came home to find an amano munching on him. I had to chase the amano away to get the deceased out of the tank. I don't know if it was a hydra related death or if maybe he had an issue molting. I checked the water parameters and my ammonia was 0, nitrate 0, pH ~8 which is normal for my tank. I did a partial water change just to make sure. It's ridiculous how sad losing one cherry shrimp made me. Hopefully the rest will be safe as the spixi munches up the hydras.