Considerations For A 55 Gal Setup

beautylovetruth

Hi all,

Been a little while since I was here last! I purchased a standard sized 55 gallon aquarium a while back and am getting into the planning stages of what I'd like to have in it. This will be a show aquarium for my dining/living room and I would like to have cichlids in it. Unfortunately I'm torn as to what to go with.

I'm thinking of a dwarf tank with rams, mixed varieties, with an angel or two (or gouramis) for show and a few schools of tetras. This would be a calm show tank that I would be extending from my current community tank with the same set up (rams, tetras and gourami). I was considering making this a planted tank with easy to care for low light plants, lots of caves and aquascaping.

OR

A more aggressive tank consisting of Aulonocara, Copadichromis, Julidochromis, Labidochromis and Neolamps (fairy). Not too sure if I would put in all of these species, input is certainly welcome. :)

This tank would have the rocky, pebbly bottom that are meant for these cichlids.

I'm open to any thoughts and ideas, so please send them my way :)

If you haven't had one before, you won't be disappointed with the personalities of more aggressive Cichlids. That being said, prepare to fish a few dead Cichlids out until you get the right amount of overstocking for an African Cichlid tank.

IMO, a 55 is a little small for Peacocks and Haps; however, the smaller Tangs would be nice - lots of rockwork, maybe an open area with some shellies! Or a rock mountain with a bunch of smaller Mbuna (Yellow Labs, Saulosi, Rusty's...) could work great.

That all being said, I too love the planted look with smaller SA fish.

• 4 weeks later...

If it were me, Id get two huge schools of pygmy corys and ember tetras like 30 each. You could go with dwarf gouramis or dwarf sa cichlids (apistos,rams,nannacars).

For plants id recommend java fern, anubias and cryptocoryne wendtii.

Good suggestions! I would think the corys and rams get along.. am I right on that front? I would like to do gouramis, tetras and rams as I currently have that setup in a smaller tank.

The plant suggestions seem good to go too, thanks!

How about hatchetfish? I've read of a lot of people keeping them with Honey Gouramis and dwarfs. Haven't tried personally as I tend to focus on bottom dwellers lol.

Not too sure if the aesthetic of them is for me but thanks for the suggestion!

Ember Tetras, Rams, Corys... Sounds like an awesome planted tank idea. Could also check out some Dwarf Neon Rainbowfish!

Are you going to be at the next auction to pick some of this stuff up or what??! Didn't see you at the last one.

Yeah Jeremy I'll be at the next auction, have to plant the tank and get some stock :)

I think that we've finally decided on SOMETHING haha

We want the community tank with a show fish (or two) for the top level, like a few angels. The hubby likes the idea of having large fish in the bigger tank and I agree that we should take the opportunity to show off the tank that way.

So far we've agreed to a mix of rams and cories on the bottom, angels on top (if they'll work) *if not gouramis* but we can't agree on a middle fish. We're looking for a colourful, compatible companion! (Say that three times fast!)

• 2 weeks later...