Cheap Substrate

Bruno

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burnco on glenmore trail has silica sand too. I believe it was 6.00 a bag

$10 for 50 lbs. In Calgary, you can buy it by the bag. I have not noticed a differece in sharpness between it and silica sand. It is listed as an abrasive, I assume anything is abrasive when shot at high pressure lol.

Antonio, there was someone in Edmonton that did a tank with copper or coal slag that was either keeping cichlids and/or Cory's. Do a little searching and ask them how it's going.

• 4 months later...

Ok Nanmer I've decided to take the plunge and start a shrimp tank. Going to use a 10 gal with an undergravel filter. Do you think the black magic will be ok for the under gravel or will it be too small?

Barry

If you have any intention of having plants, don't bother with an undergravel filter as it will just get clogged. Did you want plants in that tank?

Bear,

Are you planning on going as high tech as your other tank? Would you consider the same idea as the tank I had at the show? I could bring you over to the dark side *muh ha ha*. Sand would totally clog an underground filter.

Not as high tech as my main tank but yes I would also want some plants. Don't understand why plants would clog an undergravel filter. Have 3 inches of gravel in my main tank with an undergravel filter and can grow just about anything I have tried. I can look under my tank at the bottom of the filter and see some hair roots mooving in the currant. With the mass of bio mass an undergravel filter provides and the chance of getting dead spots in the gravel of non undergravel filtered tanks, I don't see why you wouldn't want an undergravel filter short of wanting sand as a substrate.

So I guess I will just have to get some regular aquarium gravel although I still have some flourite black I could use just thought the "black magic" be cheaper.

Edited by BearBarry1

Do you want to go with a regular 10 gallon? You could come take a look at some of my "alternate" shaped 10 gallon tanks. Would be a bit harder to do an undergravel in one but you could always change out the sand substrate if you don't get the results you seek. I probably have enough black magic to fill a 10 gallon for ya.