Oco Co2 Monitor/controller... Thoughts?

So I got an email from Tim Burton, founder of Aquaflora. If you have ever ordered from them, you probably got the email too. If you haven't you might have seen their plants in clear plastic cups at LFS's over the past few years.

Anywho, the email was about a kickstarter project he is starting.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/4612189/oco-the-worlds-first-co2-meter-for-aquariums

He has made a CO2 monitor or controller (two different models) that reads the amount of dissolved CO2 directly and if it is the controller, it will then control your solenoid to ensure you have the magic 30ppm (or other desired level if you set it to that). It calibrates by taking the known CO2 concentration in the air (there is a forum somewhere where Tim or the engineer who is designing it describes the difference between ppm in water and ppm in air and why they are measured differently by weight or as a percent of total volume of atmospheric gases).

The controller has the option of a remote probe and the monitor has the probe built into the device and the device sits on the rim of the tank (adjusts for rimmed or rimless tanks). While I am not a fan of a device sitting on the edge of my tank, especially since I use a wooden hood, the controller seems cool.

While I already own a pH controller and use various means to read dKH and determine how much CO2 I have in the tank by using charts and whatnot, if this gadget works the way it says it does, then it will simplify things greatly. No more testing KH or having to worry about pH levels and looking at charts and getting ball park figures. I can just set it at 30ppm and let it control the CO2. Though I would probably still use my pH monitor to ensure there isn't huge pH changes, but there shouldn't be if maintaining 30ppm CO2 the pH should be constant (well some swinging as the solenoid turns on and off). I can use my gear on a new tank or sell it.

I was one of the early pledges for this. If it doesn't go through then I am not out any money because it doesn't charge you what you pledged until the time is up and it is successful. If it isn't, your pledge isn't processed.

Curious what others think about this? I personally hope it succeeds. I know some people don't like products that simplify the hobby because it takes away from the learning process and mastery of the hobby. Though I look at it as if more people get into plant tanks because it has been simplified, the more access to plants there should be through trading plants, more start up/online companies, and the prices from plants will become lower. Not to mention newer plants may come into the trade and be more readily available.post-6589-0-29239700-1404881667_thumb.jpg

I'm all for simplifying the hobby! And this do-dad just might help a lot of people! I've done away with test-kits years ago (tho, my new interest will probably necessitate some for a while), using fish, plant and algae behavior as the indicator; but, if this can help new plant hobbyists hit the ground running w/o destroying their bank account, I like the idea!

I found this project a couple days ago researching CO2 stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing how people like it and maybe ordering one if it's successful after that. I can't afford to place $200 on it right now. Very useful idea though!

• 3 weeks later...

I got the one with the remote. I didn't want it sitting on the edge of my tank. Should work the same as a pH controller, except that this gives exact readings of CO2 and not ball parking it based on pH/KH and other parameters. It reaches its set mark, then turns off the solenoid which prevents CO2 leaving the cylinder. Once CO2 concentration drops it sends a signal to the solenoid to open again.

I haven't seen how it all hooks up, but I would think that the solenoid plugs into the OCO unit the same way a pH controller hooks up to a solenoid on a regulator. Not sure how else it would work.

Did everyone who pledged get the email survey on if you wanted the remote version or regular?

He did say on the kickstarter that they were going to offer different colours, including one that was clear plastic. I didn't see an option to choose. The black look was fine for me. I hope that is what I get.

• 6 months later...

Anyone receive theirs yet? Last update was end of Dec. It's almost 6 months past the original shipping date. Thinking this isn't going to ever be available.

Tim Burton (the creator of this) didn't reply to several of my emails. Not the best way to start a business: promise a product then have many months of delays, updates about delays come once a month or less, and emails go unanswered.

Granted this is in the kickstarter phase and not mainstream. I can understand legitimate delays and issues with a new product and design tweaks, but keep your customer base updated frequently and reply to emails. Perhaps post pictures or youtube videos of issues that need to be addressed so the customer knows it is legit.

His other company "aquaflora nurseries" has information that is out of date about the OCO. Last I heard from him he is still running aquaflora and selling plants. I was going to buy some plants from him to stock the tank I got for my grade 5 classroom back in Sept. He offered to donate a bunch of plants instead since it was going to a school. He said he would ship them out on a certain date. They never arrived and when I contacted him to ask for tracking number or if whether they shipped yet, I got no answer. Tried several times to contact him, but didn't hear back. Can't really be too upset for not getting something that I was going to get for free, but a bit disappointed when someone says they are going to do something then it doesn't happen. I figured he got super busy with the OCO and just forgot. If he had replied and gave a logical reason he couldn't do it anymore I would be fine with that, but not replying at all is a bit disheartening.

My initial impression of him from communicating through emails (of which he used to reply back within a few days) was very positive. He answered my questions about the OCO, gave good advice and recommendations, joked around about stuff, was generous with the idea of donating plants, etc.

What do you guys think?

He had what, 74 backers for the controller? Not exactly enough to achieve bulk discount production costs. He needed at least 1000 backers for this device to get costs down to anywhere reasonable. The 'success' bar should have been much higher, and from the 'updates' on the kickstarter project it sounds like his prototype should have been a little better before he put it out there.

Hopefully things are just busy, but haven't turned sour for him?

Edited by Iceturf