Inline Heater

Bruno

Thinking about switching over from HOB to canister, and the clean up the look of the tank, going with a in line heater. I was looking at the Hydor since I don't know who else makes them, but the largest one (300w) says it is for 50 to 80 G tanks. I have a 90, so how big of a deal breaker is that? And will flow rate matter at all in that? I like to over filter so if I get a larger canister - rated for 150G for example, am I adding more trouble? Any other heaters out there I should be looking at instead?

I ran a 300W on a 120 for years and it was great. It ran thru an Ehiem 2217 and had an extra 2215 on the tank, too.

My Hydor crapped out in less then a year on a 65gal tank so I went back to a submersible type. Look at what the other guys are doing with dual filters, if your filter dies so does your heat. If I ever find my receipt and replace the inline I will strongly consider adding a secondary filter as a precaution.

I got 2 Eheim 2215s and 2 200W Hydor inlines on my 75 and they seem to be doing the trick, I read that the heaters failed sometimes and I decided that I would keep 2 smaller ones on the tank so that if one got caught in the on position my tank wouldnt be fried. I haven't really noticed a reduced flow either, so there's that. As for going bigger with the canisters, I would. The flow is a huge limiting factor, it doesn't penetrate the surface well so a bunch of the biofilm is currently reigning supreme, but I'm going to get an aquaclear surface skimmer to fix that. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...