75 G Theoretical Cichlids From Lake Tang Tank Advice Updated

SuperGuppyGirl

So I have a tank, it is cube style (dimensions are 36.25L x 24.75H x 18.25W inches). Now the hubby has expressed interest in fish that are non community ie. Cory free (shudders), non live bearer, bright, colorful and somewhat aggressive. Definitely not my expertise, and in interest of trying to pique his interest, reached a tentative agreement along those lines. After researching cichlids, Lake Tang's seem to be popular, fairly hardy and colorful. I have recently come across a lot of micro macro tanks and am wondering if this would be doable for Tang's, as during my research came across a cute shell dweller called Neolamprologus Multifasciatus, small fish big personality love it. But as I have no experience with Africans need some advice. What would work well with a colony of these on the bottom that are colorful but don't get to big, won't terrorize the multis, but will do a bit of fry control on the multis and their own fry? A lot to ask I know but the internet can get confusing. TIA

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I've been thinking of selling my group of Neo. brevis - very similar to multies. For smaller teammates w color, try Lamprologus leleupi and/or some of the Julidochromis spp. Those two would do well with a rock pile to live in. If you want to sneak something in that is cory-like, try Synodontis lucipinis/petricola

With the brevis, I couldn't find if they did multi-generational tolerance like the multis. Does your group do this Jason? That intrigued me as with all the aggression I had read about, the family fry rearing was somewhat neat. For the lelepi and Julia , how many would you recommend for a tank this size? Should keep mixed sexes or say just males? Again don't mind fry as long as they're fairly easy to rehome or don't over run the tank. It was also suggested in quite a few pages about adding salt to the tank to prevent bloating in Africans, is this needed or just precautionary? Like the Syno idea as they look adorable plus would help keep fry numbers down I'm sure.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

My brevis are in with 35+ Tropheus, so no fry survive (I've seen them a few times, tho); and, any time I kept them in the past, I raised fry in a separate tank... I don't know about the multi-generational thing.

I would set up a tank like yours with a mountain of fieldstone (I like the mix of colors and shapes) up the middle, with the base taking up around 60% of the tank footprint. Then have the shellies colonise the right side. With that set up, you could probably do a trio of each cichlid (if you can't find adults, start w. 4-6 juvies and move out the 3rd and 4th wheels soon), and 4 or so Synos.

If you want some greenery, a deep tank like that would look good with some Val on the left side and maybe some Java fern and/or Anubias wedged into the mountain.

If you dig thru my journal, I may have some pics of a 90gal that had a very similar setup to what I describe.

A 75g multi tank would be a blast my 20g with a colony is one of my favs.Not sure what a good critter mix would work for you but Java Fern does very well with my colony. I crazy glued it to my rock work all is well.Trying to aqua-scape could be a challenge, little buggers love to dig its amazing how much sand they can move .I have two dozen shells in the tank and they buried all of them and live & spawn in the rock work.

Hmmm if I did the rock/rubble wall as suggested, would it be doable do you believe to say have N. Brevis on one side and the N. Multis on the other? Might have to stick with just one top swimmer but don't think is have any space for the synos on the bottom if I did. Definately have to invest in java fern and Anubias, and look for more branch like driftwood. So if I looked at say 4-6 juvies of leleupi, 6 each of the brevis and multis, and say a pair of BN plecos, how much filtration should I have? Tank currently has an AC110 hob, but could easily add say 2-80G sponges, would this be enough for there needs in addition to 25-50% WC every week?

I wouldn't do both Brevis and multies in same tank. Do synos instead of BN. Fry won't survive if there is other fish in tank so won't get the colony of shell dweĺlers you hope for.

Tank your size I'd start with 6 adults of brevis or multiples.

decor in tank approx 1" of sand and 4piles of shells spread out over bottom of tank.

1 good sponge filter will suffice also can toss an small HOB with a sponge on intake.

they will reset sand and shells to there liking.

not much colour in just species tank but so fun to watch colony grow.

Here's a link to a smaller tank with a rockwall that I did several years ago. And here's a link to my 90 currently set up at work (go to #7 post for fieldston layout).

In the small tank, I had to use foam for the vertical wall using smaller rocks; but, in the 90, I have the base of large rocks and kind of pyramid it up so that the smallest rocks are at the top. It's really easy to use the corner of the tank to support the rocks, but I once had a 90 with a center overflow and I built the wall up the middle... I think I had a 135 set up like that. Greg took a video of it, I think... I'll see if I still have it on my Photobucket account and post.

I'm with Mel in suggesting to stick with just one sp of shellie. If you cover the available substrate with shells, they'll eventually fill them all. The leleupi/julies will colonise the rock pile.

None of those cichlids will touch algae (neither will synos), so I can see why you'd want to add a couple BNs. A male will eventually be the biggest fish in there, so it maybe set him up a cave away from the rock pile, so he's not tail-whipping at the cichlids and causing an avalanch! :)

I'm a fan of canister filters over HOBs, but whatever you have will work - the more filtration, the better, of course. Sponges take up floor space, so I'm not a fan of them in display tanks, but they're hard to beat for simplicity!

Thank you Jason for the links as I currently only have access on my phone saved me hours of eyestrain. I love the look of the pic you posted, I think Im going to set up something similar with 6 multis, 6 Juli transcripts, a BN, a lucipinnis, and not sure just yet on the top dwellers. Going to take a bit to do the set up so have some time plus thinking to move my tanks to different locations in the house. Thanks everyone for help!

If you need some of the best shells in my opinion for shellies. Think i have a dozen or 2 left. I'll sell a dozen for $20. Very good shells for them. I'm sure Jason will vouch for them also. No rush if you need as there in my "fish box of extras" and not going anywhere fast. Ill check archives for a pic of shells

Thanks zoo, might take you up on that. Just composing my todo list for this tank, hoping by auction time I have it set up the way I want. Luckily my down the street neighbor is redoing his yard taking out his rock garden so I can get the stones for free. Tested some with vinegar and looking like they are usable

• 3 weeks later...

Update: hubby has found a fish he thinks looks cool lol which I have no doubt is going to hurt my pocketbook. He wants the main centerpiece fish to be Altolamprologus Calvus (black). Now after research the Shellies are out but can't find out if it is compatible with julidochromis transcriptus, and believe it to be all right with synodontis lucippinis. I realize that no fry will be possible from the Julies (and possibly the calvus) unless I rear in a separate tank but this is more of a display tank. So what should I start with for the calvus? Thinking 6 Julies, 3-6 synos, a pair of BN and 6? Calvus or is this pushing the boundaries for a 3ft cubish style tank with a rock wall?