My Aquarium Dream...

eroy1978

Hello,

I am new in the aquatic world, it was always my dream to have an aquarium... I just got a tank and I will definitely be very pleased if I can get a little bit of help :blush:.

So far I ve got a tank 48x16x19, I know it is big for a beginner but the deal was good.

lava rocks

sand from western pump 40 lb

I build the stand too...

My plan : Find some gravel substrate and mix them with the sand, also put a top layer of fine gravel

Setup the rock, and ad the water, half of the tank and wait two weeks to put plants inside

Ad the rest of the water, use the filtration system ( Aquaclear 70)

Wait a month, setup the heater and get Mollies fish to start.

I will be glad if I can get some opinions on this plan, I also apology for my English, It is not my first language.

I wish you a good night and to fulfill your aquariums dream !

Best regards

Manu

post-6673-0-62085700-1414808834_thumb.jpg

Welcome and bigger tanks ARE better for beginners IMO allows mistakes as larger volume if water takes longer to get serious compared to smaller tanks.

please look up cycling it is the first mistake new guys make...

read old posts on forum as lots of good info here. Need something answered just ask... rather you ask then not ask and hurt your new love ones....

side note it always starts with 1 tank...soon you'll have multiple.

But welcome again.

I would get another filter in conjunction with your AC70. At least the same size, or bigger even. "overfiltering" doesn't exist, as long as the water flow isn't too strong. It will improve your tank drastically in terms of ease of maintenance. Definitely +1 on what zoopkamol said as well.

If you put enough plants in to cover around 75% of the footprint, you won't have a cycle. Let the plants grow for a week to get somewhat established, then add your fish- the plants will appreciate all of that nitrogen! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with others on here. I am relatively new to planted tanks, have had 1 tank over the last ten years. As soon as i started a planted tank i got really hooked. Now i understand when others have 15-20 tanks. i am onto number 4 and i have another tank in "storage" till i find what else i want, never realized how much of an addiction it could be. Love my tanks.