Plecos At It

jvision

I just set up a 75gal in my shop at work (thanks zoopkamol!) and decided to move the BNs I had in the 90gal system to see if I could actually get fry again.

I split the tank up into 3 sections.

20150204_152130_zpsvckxyd5a.jpg

Left section is for a trio of L349 (Green spot BNs) - they've spawned for me a few times, but being in a cichlid tank, I hadn't seen fry in quite a while. Attempts at hatching artificially yielded minimal results, so I thought giving them their own space would be nice for them.

Middle section is for a trio of Albino BNs I have left over from all stock sold last summer. They're just getting to breeding age, so I thought I'd give them a space to try things out.

The right side will be for growing plants for my turtles to eat - looking for a good chunk of Elodea and such.

The Albinos are still young and can move between sections. Not a problem for me.... or is it?

20150204_152108_zpssqeculaj.jpg

That's the VERY young male Albino BN in a cave on the LEFT SIDE, guarding eggs! I'll let them hatch to see what color they are. If they're all brown, I'll know he spawned with one of the L349s and will scrap the spawn. I don't see how this guy managed that - the male L349 is HUGE!

They've been in this tank for 2 days... guy just couldn't wait to try out the new matress, I guess... :lol:

Got to work this morning and the cave was empty. No sign of fry around the tank, either. I don't feed them on the weekend, but I left a chunk of zuccini. I guess it's possible that if the fry did leave the cave, the pair of Cyps picked them off; but I find it unlikely that they'd get them all.

It was this dad's first spawn, so it'd be understandible if he doesn't quite get it, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a 2nd batch of eggs in there, yesterday. Looks like both females are ready to spawn! These fish aren't even 2" SL! If I remember correctly, their father was a long-fin, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of fish result from these spawns.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm back in the BN pleco game.

Here's about 30+ fry, and the dad is back guarding what looks to be an even bigger clutch today!

IMG_20150302_082318_zpstarypkxq.jpg

• 1 month later...

This trio has been BUSY!! I decided to try to count all of the fry, and I got to 198!!! I may have double counted a few, but I'm also sure I missed a bunch b/c I didn't move any decor.

IMG_20150414_151813_zps5otd0ptf.jpg

• 4 months later...

These guys mostly get NLS, but also zucchini. I just cut a chunk, stick a fork in it and let them eat it raw.