STOCKING

dunl

Which do you prefer, and why?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Looking for some good discussion here on this one: Do you prefer to overstock, or understock?

I voted overstock, as I like to have as many fish and as much movement in my tanks as possible, as long as they are overfiltered as well.

Edited by dunl

I'm not a fan of overstocking. So i'll say I prefer a normally stocked/ understocked tank. I dont' really like the look of a tank packed full with fish. Sure there are circumstances that its useful but to me less is sometimes more.

One thing i also hate is small tanks with larger fish. It just doesn't look right. I prefer a more proportioned tank. IF you have a really big fish it just looks funny if it takes up 1/3 of the lenght of that tank. Like when people keep oscars in 3' tanks, it looks silly. But thats just my opinion :smokey:

Right now I am understocked, huge... most of my tanks are somewhere around 3-5 gallons per fish, and all my fish are 2" or less. I also have a tendancy to over-do the plants, tho...

I plan on overstocking a tank... next year I'll have a 33 gallon with a 100 gallon rated filter on it full of Endlers. (asuming the three pairs I have no can reproduce enough... go fishes go.

With regards to stocking tanks, I'm not even sure I fully understand what over or under means, but I prefer to stock mine to a level that allows the fish a somewhat similar environment as what they would find in their natural habitat. That can mean a whole host of things, depending on the species.

allows the fish a somewhat similar environment as what they would find in their natural habitat.

My words before I could type them.

Now, before I get responses saying few fish would remain in a glass cube size ecosystem in the wild, I realize that. But I try to get it as close as I can.

No fibre optic caves for me either. :smokey:

im jealous of you avatar....

Right now, I have a 55gal fully planted w. barely 10" of fish - so, if we're going w. the 1"/gal rule - hugely understocked.

I also have a 35 gal w. what will eventually have close to 70" of fish. So over stocked?

I have to go with overstocked.

although with my tanks some are over and some are under.

I agree with the type of species depends on stock numbers and that is why i have the mix.

I usually start overstocked to the nuts until everyone starts growing and the aggression starts to take over then I weed out a few and go from there.

:ml: