mbuna suggestions

vantgE

sarting to plan the fish for my 90 gallon have 2 yellow labs one lombardoi and one venustus to move into it, i also want some syno petrichola, if I can find em, and some demasoni so what's your favorite mbuna? or suggestions for my tank,

I need some names to look into :)

RIght now my favorite Mbuna is Lab.perlmutt. I have 7 in my 90g and they are great. The males turn this beautiful pearly cream color. They also aren't too aggresive.

Another one of my favorites are Rusties(iodotropheus sprengerae). they aren't the most beautiful fish but they are still pretty with their purplish shading. they are also another more"peaceful" mbuna. I have these in with my Lab.perlmutts and they make a great combo.

For a starter keeping a venustus (you do realize that they can get up to 10" in an aquarium?) in a 4 ft tank (I'm assuming it's a standard 4ft 90?) along with much smaller Mbuna is going to be a challenge. If you want to go with mbuna I'd remove the venustus.

The Mbuna will work better if you have a few 'groups' of species, and having said that I'd up the yellow lab number to 4-6. After that, your selection is wide open.

Personally I found the Pseudotropheus elongatus mpanga to be a stunning fish(blue with yellow fins), and the Maylandia estherae would add a nice complementary colored fish. You'd have a colorful mix of yellow,orange, and blue. With proper filtration & rock work your tank could handle 6-8 adults of each species. If you're buying unsexed juvies then perhaps 10 of each, with the option of removing some of the 'extra' males when/if the need arises down the road.

But really, it's your tank, take your time & decide what YOU want in there.

My venustus are in a 4 ft tank, but they were put in there with the idea that they were tracked to be outta there within 6 months to a year, depending on size....they seem to get along fine with the mbuna so far, but that will change...and when it does, they're gone.

uh oh, i was hopeing he'd/she'd be okay in there i knew they'd get big and agrisive so was going to build a more agrissive mbuna tank, with my kenyi and demasoni, i read more like 7 8 inches, but after double checking your right it's 8-10 will it be impossible to keep i really would love to

and i did like the elongatus i was looking into it and the snowwhite scofoli are these able to handle the venustus or is there no point trying?

The venustus mature size will be affected by genes, diet, sex, etc, but being a predator once it matures it will most likely attempt to eat any mbuna it can fit in its mouth. Their aggression level (along with all africans) often boils down to the individual personality of the fish. Can it work, yes, will it work in your tank, hard to say? Venustus require a higher protein level than mbuna, so you'll also have some dietary issues if you stock with herbivores.

Is it doable, yes, but you'll be fighting the odds. Seeing as you're just starting out with planning a new tank I personally think you'd be better off starting with a mix that has a higher chance of long term success. For the most part mixing haps/peacocks with mbuna isn't a good idea, unless the mbuna are omnivores, and are the less aggressive species such as yellow labs. Same goes for your kenyi. If it's a male you risk the chance of it becoming hyperdominant in your tank & breeding with some of the other mbuna females. They can be nasty little beggers once they mature. This is why I suggested 'groups' of mbunas, and not a bunch of various species.

Ya, ha ha. Im not that cool!

BUT, I do have a Trio & just wait until my male is finished change.

He has some real attitude, & I think he’s going to be phenomenal. He already glows like a moonrock.

I just got them this spring at the ACE auction. I think they may be my fav. Pseudotropheus. They play like kids. Ps. Zebra (Cobalt Blue) is the hellraiser of course (But keeping him in check gives Jack Dempsey a purpose in life). My Ps. Socolofi is kind of m ental.