CO2 Questions

johnsmith

Is this:

"For two-liter bottles:

2 cups water

2 cups Sucrose (cane sugar)

¼ teaspoon Fleischmann's Active Dry Yeast

¼ cup tepid (ideally 104ºF) water

The yeast should rehydrated first in the tepid water. The aseptic method mentioned previously should be used."

the diy mix you use?

Edited by johnsmith

I usually don't messure the water - just fill the bottle up to w/in about 3" or so. Water temp is slightly warmer than room temp.

I don't think you have to use cane sugar specifically and I was told any brand of baker's yeast should be fine. Just make sure the water you use isn't hot enough to kill the yeast while being warm enough to disolve the sugar and you should be fine.

In the Hagen CO2 kit it comes with some baking soda to slow down the fermentation process so the yeast lasts longer. But given how cheap yeast and sugar is I don't know if it really needs it.

Edited by Magicide

• 2 weeks later...
In a 10g should I take the CO2 out everynight so the pH doesn't fluctuate too much?

With Calgary water of KH~6, and a reasonable CO2 brew, you will never be in the zone of dangerous pH swings. You may as well keep it going overnight. It won't help your plants grow better, but won't hurt either ...

a reasonable CO2 brew,

That might be questionable. :)

Alright then, I'll keep it in.

I'm planning on using an airstone b/c I don't really want the noise made by sticking it near the intake. Hopefully it should be okay. If not, I'll probaby buy a bubble ladder.

Edited by johnsmith

Well, the airstone I had broke apart, it was pretty brittle, so I'll probably buy one of those bubble ladders from BA's, eventually. For now I'll position the bubbles under the intake tube and see how it goes.

One more question, I have kitchen/bath silicone that I know can't be used in the tank - can it be used to seal the tubing on the pop bottle lid?

Edited by johnsmith

Two more questions and one trip to a hobby store and I should have this thing up and running. So...

1. Is it worthwhile to use a larger bottle than 2l or does it not work that way with yeast? I figured I could add more yeast / sugar /water and have it last longer. Is that correct?

2. Do many of you rinse your container in boiling water to sterilize it b/f you add your yeast (once the bottle has cooled down)?

Thanks agian

Two more questions
1. Is it worthwhile to use a larger bottle than 2l or does it not work that way with yeast? I figured I could add more yeast / sugar /water and have it last longer. Is that correct?

IME, this is correct. A larger container will last longer.

2. Do many of you rinse your container in boiling water to sterilize it b/f you add your yeast (once the bottle has cooled down)?

I don't. I just rince it hot tap water, then fill 'er up!