Ruby Red Peacocks

wandj

Here is the small male. I think he is only about 3.5 inches. I think he has very good color, not any worse than the big guys. He was swimming around so much it was hard to get a pic. Of course, the second pic has a mirror image. He is on the left, image is on the right. You can see the calcium deposits from my hard water on the Fluval.

Smallestmale.jpg

BTW, I used a 1993 Canon EOS Rebel film camera and a 50mm macro lens. And yes, I admit I need practice as I see some of the pics did not turn out very good.

Ok, so there they are. Fire away with any comments you might have. Be honest because I need to know how to improve what I have and I need your input to best care for these beauties. And...are they red enough?

Edited by wandj

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looking good so far. Start feeding them NLS and their color should continue to get better. Keep posting updates on their progress. Its always interesting to see before and after pics.

The mark on your female looks like a scar. Probably got beatup at one point and now its healed. Unfortunately it won't go away.

Sorry no cam, but its on my x-mas wish list. My dom male is more of an orange/red color and about 5 inches, sub dom is very red and 4 inches. I put in a divider in the 55 gallon so both males can breed, males are from different bloodlines.

Doing an experiment with them. To see what both fry look like from two different males and how they color up and all fed NLS.

Edited by Fishy

Oh oh! I just checked in on them and they are all developing Ick. I haven't had Ick in a long time so will need to get some proper meds tomorrow. (My favourite is "RiddIck" but I can't get it in this town so will have to use something else). Raised temp to 82 and added one tbsp of salt per 5 gal. I'm not surprised considering how much they've travelled around in the last couple of days. Good thing they are in their Q tanks.

One thing, they are on tanks with a continuous "drip" of fresh water. They are probably getting about 100% water changer per day. I'll have to either shut it off while I treat or make sure to keep replenishing the meds. Will worry about that tomorrow.

Edited by wandj

I like Nox-ich the best, a little hard on the silicon though.

You may find that they do better if your water turn over is 4-5 days instead of 100% everyday. That big a constant change can be hard on them.

Are you adding salt everyday with that kind of water turn over? How about chlorine remover or is it filtered water?

Just curious

I am on well water. I need to ask, why would it be harmful to give them 100% a day? (Wouldn't they be experiencing a river-effect?) All toxins would be zero and the drip is so slow yet constant that there are no pH swings, it's temp is not a factor, etc. Please tell me what reasons there are to not do this.

I only added salt today due to the Ick.

My water does run through an earth-aggregate filter just to remove sediment from my well. That's all there is.

In case you don't want to fish through past threads, my water parameters:

pH 8.5-8.7 when aged (oxygenated)

GH 220ppm or 12 grains

KH 310 ppm

Temp at 82 right now because if Ick

The parameters below were tested by a pro when I moved into this house;

Iron "safe"

Copper "safe"

Nitrate "safe"

Nitrite "safe"

If I were to test for NH3+ or N02 or N03, they would be very low or zero. (Yes, it is possible to have ZERO results when you have a semi-automatic water changing fish-room!)

I'm no expert. I only go off what I have been told. I suspect that with city water, it would be the chemical byproducts from the treatment process, the leftovers from chlorine removal and a lack of salt. With your well water you have no chemical addatives and probably have a decent salt content. I know when I was on well water that my well had a relativly high salt content (good for fish). I made the mistake of thinking your fish were on city water :blush:

Oh, that's ok. I turned the drip off anyway so that I knew how much meds they were getting. The beau picked up some Jungle Ick Guard for me and I have to treat every 24 hrs. Once they are done, I'll give them another water change.

They are doing quite well even though they have a little Ick. Since I started with the salt and temp, they have not developed any more spots. So the parasite is in abeyance right now. I have already prepped their new home. Waste of time taking pics as it will be a long time before I can post them, but I have 3 fake stumps, that gravel I mentioned before, 2 fake vertical rocks, a couple of levels of tile, one fake pc of driftwood, one lg sponge filter and a Rena XP2 or XP3, can't remember right now. One long air stone.

Oh yes, for those of you wondering about this sand/gravel from Sil Industries NW of Edmonton, it is AWESOME!

Because it was an empty tank, I didn't worry about it bothering any fish. I was going to wash it first, but saw that there was no dust. So I put it directly into my tank. I added about 2-3 inches. There was a very slight milky haze, but it was completely gone when I checked the tank the next morning. And if I stir the sand around, nothing comes up. So I think this stuff rules! (It's a silica sand)

And it was so cheap!

I'd like to thank the people on the "sand thread" for telling me about this product and I highly recommend it to anyone. I have the darker gravel for the big tank. This tank got the whitish kind.

Edited by wandj