Fish Not Eating

S.A. RAYzor

It's possibly they are stressed, or maybe they just don't like it.

I'm told that Oscars will eat anything that will fit in their mouth, but mine will barely eat anything but NLS Cichlid Formula. They spit out Community formula, and will take a shrimp pellet in their mouth but spit it out right away.

I just hope they will eat NLS large fish formula, it's gonna be a long feeding time if they only eat Cichlid formula when they're a foot long!

-Hideo

Can you provide a bit more info.

-What are your water parameters(exact numbers, ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph)

- How long have you had these fish?

-How long have they been in this tank?

- Are they showing any other symptoms?

Well, pH is 6.8, ammonia is 0 B) and nitrates are 0. :smokey:

They are only not eating, but I think they just might be stressed (hopefully). I've only had them for two days, that might be a problem.

@Vapor: it is new foods. I picked them up at Big Al's a couple of days ago. They are perfectly healthy from the outside... :unsure:

They're from Big Al's. They are about 3 cm right now, and the female is just slightly smaller. They can get the pellets in their mouths alright, but won't swallow.

We tried some White worms today and they ate those. The male ate alot, but the female just ate a couple. I'm a little worried about her...

At that size the 1mm pellets are too big. The fact that they can fit the food in their mouth doesn't mean they can comfortably eat it. I would suggest using the Small Fish formula.

Considering all of the other recent posts about ill fish from that store, you might want to consider that as well.

If you already have the NLS, you may want to just crush what you have for now. But, look into getting the smaller size, and/or the Grow formula for the future.

Whiteworms are a good food for conditioning, but probably won't be a good staple for long periods of time.

Its a good sign they will atleast eat the white worms. I'd keep a close eye on them becuase lately people haven't been having the best of luck with fish from Big al's.

Does big al's lower the ph in their tanks? maybe they were just shocked at the ph change between the store and your tank.

I have a question that may be off base here but you said your nitrates are 0, what are your nitrites? Maybe there is a nitrite spike? Usually a cycled tank shows some nitrates.

Thanks for all the help. Here's a basic rundown of my tank:

2 Marbled Hatchetfish

2 Apistogramma cacatuoides

1 Bristlenose

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: trace

Ammonia: 0

The tank has been cycled, with media from another SA Chiclid tank (Rams). I don't know what Big Al's uses for their pH, but mine is steady.

Thanks for the tips on feeding RD. and jvision; I'll definately try both.

Thanks again for all the help. :bow:

~RAYzor

I seriously doubt that BA's tweaks their pH, which means your fish went from approx pH 8.0, to pH 6.8, in a rather sudden manner. That, and the disruption from being physically moved has most likely caused them a fair bit of stress. And yes, if you already have the 1mm pellets simply crush them up a bit so they will be easier for your fish to consume. Hopefully they will come around in due time.