My 2.5 reef

AndyL

Yep, topics right... Starting a 2 1/2g nano reef, Missing my old nano terribly, and I needed something to brighten my desk.

So what the heck, can't keep much for fish in it, but the corals will be pretty. Intention is to keep a variety of shrooms, zoos, ricordea maybe candy cane and a open brain. Pondering a red head goby and/or a decorative shrimp, lots of time to debate that one still.

Plan of late is to use my existing 2.5g tank, aquatech 5-15 filter (no media, just flow & the extra water capacity), 50w heater, 2 20w 50/50 coralife screw in lights, a blue cold cathode moonlight (will actually run 24/7). air driven Auto topoff, dual cooling fans (one for tank/equipment side, one for lighting). Debating adding a DIY remore style skimmer drawing/feeding from the HOB filter.

And to really make this project a pain - it's gotta be a neat install - only 1 power cord leaving the enclosure, and everythings gotta tuck neatly away.

Attatched is a picture of the enclosure at this point, there's a full 6x12 space behind the tank for equipment, skimmer top off etc. The flip top hood is obviously missing, made a slight goof on the measurements (note to self measure twice cut once) So I'm stuck doing some rebuilding - the angled area was supposed to allow for a 6" hood, and the top rim was supposed to be covered - somehow I drew / cut it to only be 5" tall, leaving a nice gap above the rim. :bang1:

Lots of building sanding still to go - better hurry, I'm picking up a bunch of supplies for this (and other) tanks on the 1st in edmonton...

Andy

post-17-1096004696

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Andy with no filter i would highly suggest a skimmer unless u put alot of filter feeders in there.

Ryan,

Since you obviously know nothing of reefs, don't own a reef... Have never owned a reef. I would suggest you try to restrict your "Answers" to topics of which you are knowledgeable, I'm pretty sure there are none in the saltwater section.

Thanks,

Andy

I have owned a reef. I have set up reefs. I dont have one right now because i took it down when somebody offered me some money for it and grade 12 came along so i decided to take it down until after grad. I know what i am doing when it comes to saltwater. But hey its a free world u dont want to listen to my comments u dont have 2.

Ooops, my bad... Yes I was informed later that you have in fact owned a reef.

But none the less, going by your posts under the name DOO-E on canreef - do you really think your (lack of) success at keeping a reef qualifies you to give advice? Sure looks to me just skimming through the posts that you were unable to maintain a stable reef, and don't understand many of the basics.

FWIW, adding a filter to a nano tank is generally a bad idea (Note the use of a HOB filter, without media) , yes it may remove some particulate matter, but becomes a great nitrate factory. This is something we wish to avoid when working with small volumes of water.

Andy

Wow are us freshwater heads missin out :smilebig: I mean is it the salty air or is this board just a great place to vent???? The only Nano I know of is from Mork and Mindy, but just to help things along as I too have some past saltwater tank experience... You see what Andy is trying to say here is that much like in my Sea Monkey Aquatic Zoo, the filter would just cause more polluted water than basically the tank is in volume and then your sea monkeys no longer are smiling and they have sad faces and stuff, well, under a microscope they do. I personally, all jokes aside have never seen a Nano reef with a filter on it although I have seen skimmers on them. Oh well, anytime you guys have fiesty saltwater questions, don't be afraid to ask anyone but me lol.