My 2.5 reef

AndyL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This weekends addition / modification...

Testing out the sump / refugium system I'm going to run - final product will be a 5x5x12 refugium - pondering lighting (thinking LEDs might be useful for this one). Mocked up right now - excuse the mess (was what I had lying around). The sump + airlift sure makes a difference to the tank temps - was running around 81/82 before the addition - now I'm actually running .5 to 1 degree below room temperature. Best guess says that the airlift is acting like an evaporative cooler...

Took the heater out - but I did test the heater in the sump, and it can maintain water temperature. So I don't expect too many more shots with the heater 'in tank'.

Blkwolfe was kind enough to put together a care package for me ^_^ Thanks Josh - I owe ya. So it looks like wednesday I'll be starting to cycle the tank.

Andy

post-17-1097524131

Getting there...

Found my sump at wallyworld - meant as a juice container - food grade so it's a darn fine start. Not quite the shape I wanted - and rerouted the sump lines since the picture (feed from/into the HOB - keeps water level 1 1/2" higher) Thinking I might just clean out the nasty lookin airlift - and continue to use it - this airlift in this configuration it's moving about 12gph...

Only problem is I can't turn the sump into a fuge like this - might just be making my own 5x5x14 fuge yet.

post-17-1097560520

And... Well I couldn't resist...

Well actually I wanted to see what the effect of the lights would be on the tank temps - see if I need to get those 2 cooling fans installed or if I can leave em out.

And some dummy :smilebig: didn't clean out the hood enough before putting it on - so ignore the gunk floating around that fell out...

post-17-1097560704

Not sure what ya mean there smokey...

It's a pretty basic system, an "off the shelf" saltwater setup so to speak.

Sump and plumbing for it simply are there to increase water volume. a refugium is easiest to think of as a plant filter - a lit sump with some saltwater based 'plants' (actually macro algaes). At least in the form I want, some people will put other things in it - live rock (extra filtration), deep sand beds (anaerobic denitrator) etc.

HOB filter is for water flow, also adds a bit of water capacity. Thermometer is pretty self explanatory.

The moonlight is simply there for night viewing.

Andy

Hmmm, that looks like it's gonna be awesome man!

I just picked up my SQWD and sump pump. Hopefully, I'll have time to work on the tank and plumbing this weekend. Pictures as soon as I figure out what's wrong with my Photoshop (memory leak somewhere now... eating up my ram HARDCORE, like 213423x more then it did last week).

Where did you get the digital thermometer from for $9.00???????

Digital thermometer - 9$
True equipment costs

2.5g Tank - 11$ (? forget)

heater - 40$ for the 25w visitherm I'm still pondering buying

HOB Filter - 25$

(2) 20w coralife 50/50 screw ins - 29.99 each

Moonlight - 25$

12v 2A wall wart - 15$ (guess - stole mine from a back massager)

Hagen battery powered air pump - 15$

Float switch - 10$

1L Pepsi - 1.99$

Industrial Power Bar w/ GFCI - 29.99$

(2) PC cooling fans - 5-10$ each

(2) watertight light sockets - 4$ each

Timer - 15$

Digital thermometer - 9$

Power distribution block - No clue - but you don't actually need it...

Misc tubing, screws etc - 20$

Where did you get the digital thermometer from for $9.00???????

Between Walmart, Crappy tire, zellers, home hardware etc - you have about 20 to choose from under 15$. That particular one was 8.97 at walmart. Just look for an "Indoor/outdoor" thermometer.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...