My 2.5 reef

AndyL

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, so I slapped it under the old hood, just to see the effect, not blinding - but that's not the intent either, nice muted blue light.

Hopefully this looks right on your computers - on mine it shows very dark - but it looks right on my wifes(?!)

Andy

post-17-1096767766

Heh, no edit - dagnabit!

As you can see, if some dummy :bang1: hadn't forgot them in edmonton - enclosure other than aesthetics would be done now. Still have some holes to drill, wiring to run, lights / reflectors to install, and a whole lot more sanding and painting (as you can probably see)

Decided to move the thermometer inside - you might be able to spot the original hole for the first thermometer dead center beneath the tank - decided to fill it in and relocate (that thermometer also got moved to a different tank - where its size was better suited).

Almost ready to go! :thumbs:

Andy

Hey it's startin to look really nice Andy, thanks for all the pics and great ideas to anyone else wanting to try this. Have you come to a conclusion on critters yet to inhabit this small ocean or are you still in a toss up? It would also be a benefit if you could tally up maybe a final cost and a running cost for such a barrier reef as I am sure you have struck up a little interest in more people than just me with this adventure, Ships ahoy matey

Hey it's startin to look really nice Andy, thanks for all the pics and great ideas to anyone else wanting to try this. Have you come to a conclusion on critters yet to inhabit this small ocean or are you still in a toss up? It would also be a benefit if you could tally up maybe a final cost and a running cost for such a barrier reef as I am sure you have struck up a little interest in more people than just me with this adventure, Ships ahoy matey

No decisions on residents (at least those that aren't corals), pondering a ornamental shrimp - but I haven't totally ruled out one of the various gobies - as it appears that many people have managed to keep them relatively long term in 2.5/3g tanks.

Cost? Better not let the wife see this!!! :boxed: Prices are either from receipts - or what big als shows online - i'm sure you can find cheaper around...

True equipment costs

2.5g Tank - 11$ (? forget)

heater - 40$ for the 25w visitherm I'm still pondering buying

HOB Filter - 25$

(2) 20w coralife 50/50 screw ins - 29.99 each

Moonlight - 25$

12v 2A wall wart - 15$ (guess - stole mine from a back massager)

Hagen battery powered air pump - 15$

Float switch - 10$

1L Pepsi - 1.99$

Industrial Power Bar w/ GFCI - 29.99$

(2) PC cooling fans - 5-10$ each

(2) watertight light sockets - 4$ each

Timer - 15$

Digital thermometer - 9$

Power distribution block - No clue - but you don't actually need it...

Misc tubing, screws etc - 20$

Build costs

4'x4' x 1/4" ply - 15$

1/2"x8' square stock - 8$

Lexan sheet (maybe 1mm) - 5$

Polyurethane glue - 5$

Superglue (for tacking parts together) - 4$

Pint black paint - 7$

4oz white paint - 4$

Wiring odds and ends - 20$

Sand paper, filler - 20$

Borrowed 2 7/8" and 1 5/16 hole saws - beer

Guessed costs for stocking

Sand - Ask friendly reefers for a cup of live sand from each - beer

Live rock 3-4lbs - 20-60$ depending on source

(4) Snails - .99 to 7.99

Corals - beer to 9999.99 :)

Life - 5-500$ (sorry after 500$, its just way too much for a fish)

Andy

Would it be cheaper to maybe switch from beer to whiskey say around stand completion time, we all want to save a little money,lol. That is quite a breakdown on price, thanks for the input. Maybe I will still run sea monkeys though, you can atleast kill them and replace them with no one knowing.

Andy. If you are pondering on a shrimp or a goby y not go with both? Get a shrimp goby and a pistol shrimp. O wait nevermind 2.5 gallons is a lottle small. Might i suggest a damselfish. I know that everyone has them but they wont run and hide or just plain old hide on the rocks all day. Damselfish would be out in the open and there is so many different kinds. Maybe even a chromis?

So you're saying a 2.5" sand sifting goby and a pistol shrimp creates more bioload than a chromis or a damsel?

Yes, chromis have been done in 2.5s, but that doesn't necesarily mean they should be kept in one.

I'll stick with my previous comments...

Andy

I know some of you have been waiting on this one...

Just mocked up for now - Suddenly re-evaluating hood design since things aren't fitting right. I wanted a fan and some acrylic to separate the lights from the rest of the enclosure... But space isn't really allowing for that.

I need to learn how to do 3D cad...

post-17-1097214416