90 gallon tank, filter heater??

Tiric

Been doing some reading on a few sites and been thinking about getting about in.

Found a 90 gallon tank that id like to buy but not sure. Seemed like a good buy for the tank stand light and hood. Stuff adds up fast. Anyways

Id most likely go with a canister filter with a 90.

The RENA Filstar XP 3 Canister is recommended for aquariums up to 175 gallons in size and the RENA Filstar XP 2 Canister is recommended for aquariums up to 75 gallons in size. Should I get the bigger filter?

Now for heating. The tank will be on the main floor of the house. Will a 200 watt heater be enough, or should spend a bit more money and get the 300watt heater? Wattage is what about 3-4watts per gallon so going that way a 300 should be enough. Guy at the LFS said a 200 would be just fine, but I’m not sure, that’s what’s getting me confused.. :wacko:

From past experience I would suggest getting to lower wattage heaters for the aquarium that way if one decides to stick on it won't heat up as fast as it would if you had say one 300Watt.

200 should be sufficient, But i think it may be on more often than a 300 (ofcourse). If you went with 2 150Watts that should be plenty

IMO You can never have enough filtration, the xp3 should be fine. I use 300 gal. worth of filtration. 2 AC 500s for our 90. In it I run 2 200 watt heaters which is more than enough. You could probably get by with 1 200 watt, but if your house heating went bad it would be nice to have the extra capacity with 2. But use more filter than the xp2 for sure. :)

If I went the 2 heater way id probably only be able to get 1 heater for the time being and later down the road get the second one.

Thanks for the help on the filter! Was not to sure just want to get things cleared up!

Was at big Al's yesterday looking and the 90 gallon there was 475(I believe) with the stand, light and hood. If you bought a heater filter and gravel there. So once add the cost of the gravel heater filter its going to be about anywhere to 750-800 bucks... :o Is that a pretty good buy for that size of tank? (its been a while since I’ve owned fish tanks)

Was also at Pisces Pet Emporium and their 90 gallon tank was 750 just for the tank, stand, hood, and light. I was like damn just for that nothing else. Thought it was a bit over priced? Think there was a 60 or so for about 500 and some.

I live in the Calgary area, are they other places I should check out a swell?

When i was at big als yesterday, that wanted $1800 for a 90 gallon, stand, light and canopy... (nice stand and canopy)

I just ordered a special made 90gallon tank from golds, with all the adjustments i need for saltwater for $250.... i bought another 90 gallon last year for $210.... with glass tops.

You can get cheap lights from golds aswell... they'd be the best place to go if you want to find out how cheap cheap can be.

Orrrr, to get used for cheap, go to www.buysell.com

Im selling just a 90gallon tank in a few days here... haven't decided how much to ask for it... but it will be less than $160 for sure... (no stand or lights but if you go buy a cheap reflector, i can include 2 t4 plant bulbs... plenty of light for a freshwater aquarium)

Best thing you can do is shop around... when I first go into the hobby have a decade ago, i bought a 30 gallon from bigals, and later found it for half the price new...

On my 90gallon, i put 1 200wattt heater, and will be waiting to but the next one on there....

Its good having 2... incase like said, the heating in your house goes down hill, or if one burns out, the second backs it up...

ty

If your on a budget get a tank used (I have one for sale) or go to Golds and get one. Build your stand from materials found in Home Depot and just use glass tops untill you can build or purchase a hood.

As far as filters go, save your money. Stick with a couple of AC500's. They will provide great filtration for a fraction of the cost of canister filters.

And what ever you do, stay away from Big Als when your buying equipment unless it is on sale. Golds on 17th Ave SE is usualy the cheapest place. Just tell Dennis what you want and if he doesn't have it he will get it.

Just my thoughts :)

Ill have to check Golds out tomorrow or Monday. See what they can do for me. Id like to get a new tank and everything since when or if I run into a problem I can get it replace or fixed..

I though about building my own stand, I'm sure I can do with ease, built a glass/oak display case about 72" by 36" by 16" and chest of drawers, so I know I could make one. But I would be a bit worried if it would hold that kind of weight. IS there some good rule of thumb when building your own tank stand?

Not really on a budget but don’t want to blow 1500bucks you know? Been shopping around for everything trying to fine the best price(s) on everything. And get as much info as I can

Yea saw some of those tanks at Big Als and was really shocked. Most of those bow fronts and corner one are way up there.

Big Red 265. Would you happen to have a link to the AC500's? Or where you bought them at? Thanks

Didn’t see any tanks on Golds, I am missing something?

Golds doesn't post many prices on their webpage, because they constantly have new items coming in, and availability constantly changing.

Dennis at golds gets his tanks at wholesale, so you must place an order with him to get a tank made. Right now he isn't taking orders, but he should be soon (as he had so many orders in the last few weeks... hehe, ralph bucks are to blame for that)

best thing to do, is to go down there and ask him for prices...

No gst if you pay cash or debit :)

and yeah, canisters are good, but when one a budget, you should be able to get a pair of AC500 (aquaclear's is what AC stands for, they are made by Hagen... good filter with great flow) The only reason you would wanna get a canister is if you have lots of cash, or if you are putting a tank in a room like a living room, or bedroom, as AC's can be quite noisy if the water level isn't topped up

If you really want a good tank with good filtration, read up on having a sump (tank hidden underneath, that is used as a giant filter). Thats what most saltwater people use, and what probably 1/4 of the people with 90's use...

Ah ok I was woundering why I could not find anything on AC500's lol

When you put an order in how long does it take for him to make a tank? is it a glass tank or acrlyic?

Ill do so reading up on sumps see what they are about.

Though canister probably the way id being, tanks going to go in the family room. Have to see though.

If you really want a good tank with good filtration, read up on having a sump (tank hidden underneath, that is used as a giant filter). Thats what most saltwater people use, and what probably 1/4 of the people with 90's use...

Send a PM to Jim (Grumpy) and see what he is asking for his rig. The beauty with his is if you decide to go salt, you have the tank and sump to do it. You can see what he has here. http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=6161