Say I love you with a fish ? Excuse me....

TheGr8Blade

EDIT: I also overheard one of these pieces of "advice" not too long ago - how to keep a saltwater puffer's teeth short - by clipping with nail clippers, or better, filing with a nail filer (much less stressful for the fish). This poor girl was completely buying into this as well...

Actually, I just wanted to respond to this. While it's generally possible to keep most puffer fish’s beaks nice and trim with a proper diet, involving invertebrates with hard shells, filing them down is actually both a reasonable and common practice among those who keep them. I don't know that I've heard of using nail clippers however.

And as far as the fish in this thread. I feel that they should all have been culled rather then put to sale.

Edited by Froggie

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Topic in question

.... I have expressed how displeased I am with the supplier in them sending me these fish, and have told them what an uproar it has caused in the Calgary market. You can rest assured that it will not happen again. ...

I believe this is the key sentence ...

Also, I wish to welcome Nate to AA board, and hope his presence here will be on regular basis, from now on ...

:welcome:

I see Nate is saying he is informing people on the ethics of dying fish Before they buy one.

If this is the case i think he is to be comended not condemed.

Now if we can only get some members to go there and see if that is the case or not.

I think that will give everyone the proof they need to make their own informed decision,and we can move on here.

P.S. I realy hope he is telling the truth, cause i'am tired of hearing BS from large franchaises.

EDIT: I also overheard one of these pieces of "advice" not too long ago - how to keep a saltwater puffer's teeth short - by clipping with nail clippers, or better, filing with a nail filer (much less stressful for the fish). This poor girl was completely buying into this as well...

Actually, I just wanted to respond to this. While it's generally possible to keep most puffer fish’s beaks nice and trim with a proper diet, involving invertebrates with hard shells, filing them down is actually both a reasonable and common practice among those who keep them. I don't know that I've heard of using nail clippers however.

And as far as the fish in this thread. I feel that they should all have been culled rather then put to sale.

Thanks Froggie - my bad then. I distinctly overhead the nail clippers as well though... It just seemed very bizzare!!!

Have a good wk guys :) will post my setup pics soon.

(bigAls_nate) Cannabis, would you truly want to kill seemingly healthy fish if you were in my position? Or do you think you could use this as an opportunity to inform people on unethical behavior that is happening in the world?

As much as people may not like me for this. You are asking someone who cull Hybrids before I was able to stop them from interbreeding. I also have a Turtle which loves the fact I have no conscience when it comes to culling.

OK, so you dont like the cull Idea. How about putting them into YOUR home, that way you will not need to worry about warning new customers about the abuse to the fish, or HOPING that your employees will tell when they dont tell about ick and other desease

OH thats right you will loose money

Nate I know its a business, but to stop the supply of this sort of thing I say spend the extra and ship them back. If more places started to do that the market would slowly die out for them.

I'm done now.

thankyou for the welcome to the board.

I hope that this issue can and will be resolved and I am doing everything in my power to do the right thing however like I said you cannot please everyone all the time. Someone is going to be upset. Just wanted to come on here and let you all know that we understand there is an issue and are working towards an answer. We want to make sure that the members of this board understand that we realize there is an issue adn do not condone such practices.

Cannibis, I just dont see the point in culling them, it seems to me to be similar to handing out flyers petitioning the tearing down of the rainforest. ?The fish have been through enough and survived, lets try to find them a good home. After all, my supplier is well aware my unhappiness.

Nate

Edited by bigals_nate

:welcome: Welcome to the board Nate. I hope you stick around even though you may receive some harsh criticism :pff: from some of the members. And some of us do realise that it wasn't entirely your stores fault, that when a chain of stores are told to sell something by thier head office you don't have much choice. Most of this fight :boxer: should be aimed at your corporate office and not you. But we will be watching. :ph43r:

Welcome Nate.

Nate I know its a business, but to stop the supply of this sort of thing I say spend the extra and ship them back. If more places started to do that the market would slowly die out for them.

*cough*

Nate,

Let me join the others in welcoming you to the board. It's reassuring to see that in the midst of what appears to be profit-no-matter-the-cost, you are trying your best to do the right thing. You are absolutely right, that someone will be upset no matter what you do. But I want you to know that what counts for me, is that you have given serious thought to more than just the monetary issues. You appear to honestly care about the wrong that has been done (admittedly by your supplier and not by you), and it looks like you've done what you can to translate the seriousness of the situation back to the supplier. I also agree with you that it is senseless at this point to cull the fish. I think you are doing the right thing by informing customers of the mistake that was made, and by getting these fish into some kind of homes.

And I say this to the other members of this forum: With all due respect to everyone's opinion, I believe that two wrongs will never make a right.

It's unfortunate that things like this happen. I suggest at this point that we cannot undo the mistakes. Rather we should welcome Nate, as many already have, and encourage him to continue to present our views and opinions, in a professional manner to his suppliers and to everyone he deals with. He's obviously a guy with a lot of integrity, and no doubt he will influence many, including customers, in a positive way. It took guts for him to face our collective wrath, and he deserves our respect.

Whew. Thanks to all who were patient enough to read through....

Grumpy

Has anyone been to BA's to see if they are putting this practice of informing costumers of the ethical treatment of these perticular fish?

Or should we just take Nates word of that is what they do?

Eitherway :welcome: Nate and i hope you learn somthing here as i hope we will learn from you also.