Hap. Oto. Lithobates problem

Palmer

post-376-1141267212_thumb.jpgpost-376-1141267199_thumb.jpgpost-376-1141267162_thumb.jpgpost-376-1141267179_thumb.jpgpost-376-1141267228_thumb.jpgHello,

Two days ago I noticed a weird swelling that looked like the bottom of one side of a gill on my Oto. Lithobates. It also looked like there was a hole in it. When looking at it today it has actually become more of a tendril of flesh hanging below the mouth and it is pretty long and at the end it looks ripped. Here are some pictures the first two are when I first saw it the last three are today when it progressed. Anyone have a clue what the problem is?

thanks,

Palmer

Sorry but I can't see much in the pictures. Is it in with anything that it may have been fighting with or sharp rocks or driftwood?

The rocks are not that sharp but it is in the tank with a male (Its female.) Thing is it just looks so unnatural it doesnt look like its been bitten more like a tube coming off its neck that happens to be ripped at the end.

Is it possible this is a female who was holding? Another fish may have attacked it's throat to get to the eggs/fry and torn a hole... not common, but not completely unheard of depending on tankmates.

Thanks for all the reply's everyone. Unfortunatly another female lith. started to look really bad as well (eye bulging really dark coloration and scales coming off body. Since all my other fish were looking well and only these two looked like they had an advanced disease/trauma I decided I had to euthenize them.

HOSSTILE- I only feed my fish NLS.

Tanker- You may be right about that I was wondering if it was a hole made by another fish initially as well

Degrassi- It really looked to me like it was part of the fish not a parasite

I'm hoping none of my other fish have this if it is a disease it may be do to a male beating up on them but just in case I have put a bit of salt in the tank after a large water change.

thanks for the help!

Palmer