Beginners guide to pondmaking...advice

Mbuna Ron

I picked up a small hard shell pond and a Rio pump, tubing and some gravel for 50.00....could not resist the opportunity to make a small pond in our back yard and throw in a few feeders and plants. Can anyone steer me to a beginners guide to pond making or advise me on do's and don'ts?? I'm leaving myself wide open for Hosstile comments :D but I can take it! BTW Harold I still have 4 more demansoni for you..they have to go soon ...

http://www.burnswatergardens.ca/

Ron, this is a good place to start, tell you what, I will give you a pond book for those fish. PM to follow. And Shawn, well let me tell you about Shawn. He was traumatized when he was a youngster. He dug a big hole in the back yard and cried for days when he couldn't figure out a way to bring it into the house. -01-

I guess that's a "hole" new way of thinking. I'm not sure I got the "hole" story -roll-

Thank's for your help Harold. Nothing like advice from someone who knows what he's doing. I just thought it would be neat to fiddle with. I'll check the web sight and talk to you later in the week.

Ron

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my advice

1. Buy lotsa beer

2. Invite friends over to help dig hole and drink beer

3. When run out of beer (or it is dark out) send everyone home and get what is comming to you from your other half

4. Call someone to come and install your pond fer ya

Ha ha! (Just being silly this Friday evening)

Dave :D

Check out Nature's Corner. If you're ever in Edmonton, stop by Henry's - he'll be able to set you up, and give you some good advice. That's ALWAYS free at NC!

Funny you mention Natures Corner. I was just in Edmonton and of course checked out all the LFS's. I stopped by Natures Corner at its new location. Henry was really helpful. He actually open the doors before the store was supposed to be open and we left with all kinds of information, pamphlets, etc on making a pond. He is very knowledgable and friendly and an excellent source of information! On a completely different note I went to Big Al's and was really impressed with their display tanks. The store is much larger than the one we had in Calgary. We are however lucky to have Golds. I went to AquaGiant in Edmonton as well and thought they had some interesting stock (hard goods). Their seamless tanks provide better site lines than conventional tanks. It was neat to see different product lines since in Calgary basically all stores carry the same stock. I found the prices at AquaGiant to be quite reasonable as well...picked up a 20 gall. seamless tank for 19.99, a light to match for 14.99, and a thermometer for 1.49, and a cheap filter for 4.99, biomax and biomaterial was very reasonable as well!

Edited by Mbuna Ron

• 3 months later...