Little bit of luck

Kevin

I had thought I had 3 male bristlenose in my tank, after my female of my starry night pair died. One of them must be a female, as currently sitting in my CO2 ladder of my planted 80 gallon is a quarter inch long plecostomaus. This is kind of neat because I have done nothing to encourage them, and they do not have a cave (just a malaysian root.

Are there any hints to trying to raise him. There is no yolk left and I do not see any of his brothers or sisters.

Is there anyway to identify who the pair is, none of them seem very friendly.

Is it pretty common to get spontaneous breeding of bristlenose. Body shape appears to be plecostomaus, but there are also a number of ottos in the tank, would it be more likely that they are ottos?

Kevin

Spontaneous BN spawning is far from uncommon, and they find some interesting places for it (like the inside of HOB filters and underneath pieces of rick you would not think they could fit under)...I would bet that if you have seen one fry, that there are another dozen, maybe more, hidden somewhere.

You konw, I've had a trio in a heavily planted tank for about a year, and nothing goin! I've since moved them into their own breeding tank, but there still doesn't seem to be any action goin on. Go figure!

You konw, I've had a trio in a heavily planted tank for about a year, and nothing goin! I've since moved them into their own breeding tank, but there still doesn't seem to be any action goin on. Go figure!

Then theres Kevin with his spawning "right under his nose. How do the fish stay wet? Under his nose is his mouth, does that mean Kevin is a mouth brooder? Or a moustache brooder or upper lip brooder? We have it all wrong trying to breed them in Aquariums. Ok I'll stop now, some days are tougher than others. :cry: I have tried the solitary 10 gal. tank with pvc pipe I have tried a heavily planted tank. I have tried everything other than full moon naked dancing, you know they have laws about that? I was told the age of the fish had something to do with it. Guess I will wait for the wisdom of Algae Farmer. Until then, let's keep a stiff upper lip.... and put a couple of BNs on it. :rolleyes:

I have tried everything other than full moon naked dancing, you know they have laws about that?

Sorry, I didn't think the fact that I was a professional full moon naked dancer was relevant to this. I guess I was wrong.

So the secret is, wear nothing but a bristlenose pleco over your lip and wait for the magic.

Kevin

I had thought I had 3 male bristlenose in my tank, after my female of my starry night pair died. One of them must be a female, as currently sitting in my CO2 ladder of my planted 80 gallon is a quarter inch long plecostomaus. This is kind of neat because I have done nothing to encourage them, and they do not have a cave (just a malaysian root.

Are there any hints to trying to raise him. There is no yolk left and I do not see any of his brothers or sisters.

Is there anyway to identify who the pair is, none of them seem very friendly.

Is it pretty common to get spontaneous breeding of bristlenose. Body shape appears to be plecostomaus, but there are also a number of ottos in the tank, would it be more likely that they are ottos?

Kevin

In a fully planted tank (80 gal.) your fry will have lots of food available to them. Unless of course there are other fish that would consider them a snack. They do not require any special treatment as far as feeding etc.

If you feed them veggies a couple of times a week they will definately apreciate that along with the odd feeding of mysis or brine shrimp (go easy on the meaty stuff).

Once they are 2 weeks and older they have a good survival rate, and you will see them actively feeding 24/7.

good luck and enjoy.

PS

Thank you for the feedback, If they are half an inch long, how old would they be?

I think the biggest thing will be for them to get to be an inch long before they will no longer be considered a snack for the other fry in the tank. The biggest fish in there, since I took the discus out, is a 3 inch long electric blue jack dempsey. How fast do the babies generally grow?

Kevin