Bizarre disaster

Froggie

This morning I headed down to the fish room to feed my tanks. I noticed upon walking in that one of my two new P. endlicheri endlicheri "chad basin" was positioned oddly. It was vertical against the back glass with its head against the substrate! I rushed to the tank to find the fish dead and its mouth packed full of crushed coral. It seemingly had tried to eat a mouthful and choked to death. I have no idea exactly why and am somewhat distraught.

The worst part is that I can't replace it any time soon. These had been brought for me by someone who was coming back from Houston, TX.

Sucks.

Too bad Sean. No matter how much room it sometimes strains, getting the 'group of 6 and growing them out' always seems to hold something to it. I've only got a single male O. boops, and if I were to lose him, I don't know what I'd do with the females (wouldn't really want to wait for the fry to grow out as it took long enough to get him to colour from 3.5").

You'll need to get some of the guys going to the ACA convention to keep an eye out for you! (lucky bast$#ds - you never know what you'll find there)

Edited by African_Fever

No matter how much room it sometimes strains, getting the 'group of 6 and growing them out' always seems to hold something to it.

I agree completely, something always seems to happen with the fish you like. It's generally my policy to get a few more then I want. However when the fish reach a certain price per fish, and need to travel so far, then it becomes a bit trickier.

Similar thing happened to me last year, I moved a two inch festae into my wifes 33 gallon with a small pleco. My wife had chosen red sand, (don't ask). Well when I got up in the morning I found the festae dead, choked on the red sand after eating LOADS of it. Was I ever choked! LOL.

Alright,

Now I feel like a complete failure. I just went downstairs to find the other P. endlicheri dead on the substrate. It must have just died as the eyes had yet to cloud over. I saw it out swimming this morning and it ate a little food last night.

Before anyone asks, I did test and Nitrates were less then 10ppm and Ammonia/nitrites were not detectable. My other bichers are in that same tank and are fine.