Breeding BN Plecos

jvision

Plecos, plecos EVERYWHERE!!

I just did the WCs for the week. When I change water in the "Hump Tank" I usually drain it down to the top of the male's vertical cave. It didn't look like he was home today, so I drained it a bit more - cleanliness is next to godliness, right?

When I go to fill the tank again, I notice that he's in the cave, and moving around a bit. I'm thinking, this looks a bit like he could be fanning eggs. I was wrong. He was fanning fry!!! :o

There are about 70 little guys, some have already absorbed their yolksacks! So, I had to do some rearanging of fish, so that they wouldn't get eaten in the fry tank (some mbuna got moved to the big tank a bit ahead of time, but they'll survive).

They're about 1/4 the size of their older sibs.

I'll likely start selling the first batch just before the ACE Auction - I'll keep you all posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have time to get everything together for everyone this week. I'll be selling 12 at the auction (4 lots of 3), and I'll post 'em for sale here next week.

BN babies!!!

I might be buying another for a friend off of you if his tank is ready....

*Earthgirl goes off singing Babies Babies everywhere in the hump tank" :heart:

Ok, ok! I've had numerous PMs and postings asking for these guys. :P I don't have time to get 'em all together this week, but I'll bring 'em to the auction for anyone who's interested.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showt...0entry2079882

Here are some pics:

These two give a reference to the size they're at

DSCF0786.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

The biggest guys are around 1" SL (or 1.25 tip to tail).

You can see they eat well - look at those full bellies!

DSCF0788.jpg

And, this is what they pig out on!

DSCF0795.jpg

They're fed zuccini, NLS H2O Wafers and NLS Grow. They eat it all with gusto!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it looks like the male is guarding another clutch of eggs!! These fish are machines!!

The 2nd batch are now about 3/4", and just about all have been spoken for already!!

If you PMed me b4 about some baby plecos and haven't picked 'em up, yet, please arrange a time soon. Any left at the end of the month are going to the LFS!