Breeding BN Plecos

jvision

After a couple years of frustration, they finally came through for me! Here's how I managed to coax them:

The "Hump Tank" - my wife's nickname for my breeding tank - is one of the old Aqua Giant tanks filled 3/4, which makes it about 40 gal. The substrate is Target Play Sand - the best way to get this not to cloud is to add it before your water.... I just dumped in a whole 50lb bag, then added water - no cloudiness at all!

To filter the tank, I have a powerhead (AC 201)driven sponge in one corner, and on the opposite side of the tank, I have an internal canister filter (Fluval 1). There is a chunk of driftwood with various ferns and Anubias growing on it placed in one corner, and a 2-strip 24" shop light only over the plants.

I used terra cotta pots, shells, rocks and PVC pipe as caves.

I had a trio in a heavily planted tank for at least a year, but nothing happened. They would eat heavily and often, even coming out during the day to munch on the NLS pellets I fed the community. I always had a piece of zuccini in there for them - the skin was the male's favorite part!

After a year of 0 spawns, I moved them into the tank described above. Still nothing for a couple of months!

I have developed a habit of 50%/week WCs, so they always got the big changes that is recommended for spawning these guys. I heard from our old friend Oxquo that his only spawned when there were larger fish in the tank with them. Well, I don't have larger fish, but I do have mbuna - so in went a breeding group of M. cyanerohabods. After 2 of 4 females were holding, I thought it best to move them, so the 2 males don't beat the remaining females to death.

In frustration, I took out almost all of the water - easily an 80% WC. I also set up some vertical caves right in the flow from both filters. That afternoon, the male took up residence in one of the vertical PVC caves, and invited the largest female in with him. The next day I noticed a mound of golden eggs!

The eggs were guarded by the male, and hatched about 4 days post spawn. The egg yolks have just now been absorbed - 4 days post hatching. They're now in a grow-out tank and will be fed zuccini and NLS wafers and Grow Pellets.

One thing to note. I added a third female about 3 weeks before spawning took place, and it was with this 3rd female that he spawned with. She was about 1" bigger than the other two; so, as I suspect, age is a major factor in breeding.

I did not have any special water parameters. WCs were done with treated tap water. Temp was kept at 75-78F.

Edited by jvision

I counted 45 last night, so when they get to be around 3/4" I'll be letting them go!

Here are some pics of the "Hump Tank"

It holds up my African Cichlid tank - you can see it under it here

DSCF0655.jpg

It rests right on the floor. It's on the 2nd floor, and I drain it all down to the main floor, so I don't have to worry about lack of suction for the syphon

DSCF0740.jpg

This is the area on the right, under the light

DSCF0745.jpg

The middle of the tank

DSCF0746.jpg

And the far right. You can see the Big Daddy hanging out under the filter

DSCF0747.jpg

Current inhabitants are 7 N. ocellatus, 7 White Cloud Minnows, 4 BN Plecos, 1 female Krib

Absolutely!! Thanks, so much for that female - the bigguy thinks she's hott! Earthgirl, you definitely get 1st pick!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't sold/given away any yet. The biggest ones are just reaching 1". I'll post on the site when they're ready for new homes... probably close to the May Long Weekend.