An Ethical Question

Actually, no. Curious if cops would actually care, I called up a friend of my family, who is a retired cop. He said if a person is admitting to an illegal fight involving any kind of animal, they'd take it very seriously. That's considered organized crime, most often associated with gang activity.

Have you ever watched the show animal cops? Its hard enough to get any arrests or convictions in dog fighting, so i dont' think anyone would care about some stupid kids fighting bettas. Yes its cruel and disgusting but i think if you called the police they would seriously laugh at you.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you read what I wrote? I spoke to a retired cop and a current RCMP officer, both said the same. These things are often tied in with gang activity. And in Calgary in particular, that is a very hot topic with the recent high gang activity. And if some guy is buying 1 or 2 bettas to fight them that would not be a flag, however if John Q. Normal is buying ALL of them like DAlberta stated (which is probably in the range of 40 bettas at 5$ a piece, 200$ total or more) that is going to raise a flag. Any average idiot isn't going to sink 200$ into buying some fish to fight them with his buddies.

Cops investigate more things than you think they do.

-Hideo

So you're saying that if I spend $200 at PetSmart that's going to send up a flag for the RCMP? :wacko:

Another quick thought.....rudy is buying a 4th mantis shrimp.

Do you think I should be concerned?

-roll-

If someone is buying 200$ worth of bettas and admitting to fighting them as a betting event, yes, it could definately be a flag. The police take illegal gambling seriously.

-Hideo

Edited by Mighty Prawn

Well, by all means if you think that notifying the police that someone is buying $200 worth of betttas is going to get results - why don't you set them onto it Hideo?

Let me know how it turns out.

If I knew someone doing that, believe me, I would. Perhaps my friends are just humouring me because they know how I feel about animal cruelty, but I doubt it.

You're right though, it's probably better not to try, and to simply send him to another store to make his purchase. Let's hear it for apathy!

-Hideo

I spoke to a retired cop and a current RCMP officer, both said the same.

Whoops, went back and missed this. So I assume since you've talked to them, they're going to investigate now? :unsure:

Yes absolutely, the retired cop and the RCMP officer from Tofino are going to hurry on over to Calgary to investigate a hypothetical question.

-Hideo

Darn, misread things again. I thought you had the mother of all betta-sting operations on the go. :lol:

Seriously, I can't see ANYONE in law enforcement rushing over there to check this out, based on what a customer said they were buying bettas for.

But that's just me, I guess.

Off to bed, have a good night all. :)

I'm not talking 911 here. I'd send him on his way WITH the fish. If anything there'd be an easy ticket or series of tickets to be had, and the cops in Calgary are generally anxious to fine or ticket people without feeling like they're just a tool of taxation with traffic violation after traffic violation.

Maybe I'll spend some time working out, go be a cop, and do it myself ;-) Heck, it wouldn't be the first time I'd pursued a career path for a silly reason.

-Hideo

Edited by Mighty Prawn

Maybe I'll spend some time working out, go be a cop, and do it myself ;-) Heck, it wouldn't be the first time I'd pursued a career path for a silly reason.

I'd encourage it! Then you'd truly be an expert in law-enforcement/betta relations. That’d show us!

You know what's really funny?

"Oh no, Big Al's is selling ink-injected fish!" and "Hahahaha, why don't you become a police officer and rescue all those poooor fish being gambled with!"

Think about it. You guys are smart; it'll come to you soon.

I have actually had to deal with this a few times. Usually just stupid college guys who think it's funny and when you refuse them service they leave. I did however deal with a customer who believed a little more strongly that not only should he be allowed to fight bettas, he should also be allowed to be drunk, yelling and swearing in a petstore at 11am on a Saturday morning. Needless to say, I asked him nicely to tone it down a little or leave the store. He responded by throwing me against a wall of tanks and screaming in my face! Just a memory triggered by this thread!

Mighty Prawn, the police were called regarding this incident and didn't even care about the abuse I suffered, never mind the fish. They really would laugh at anyone who called in a "betta fight"!

Edited by Ellie_A

"Oh no, Big Al's is selling ink-injected fish!" and "Hahahaha, why don't you become a police officer and rescue all those poooor fish being gambled with!"

Think about it. You guys are smart; it'll come to you soon.

Yup, is a stunning example of being able to draw a distinction between disgust at poor treatment and using humor to approach the absurdity that the police will interject in a “fish betting ring” as if it was a high priority.

…or it may just be a good way to belittle three moderators in one go?

Cops investigate more things than you think they do.

-Hideo

Overheard down at the local detachment...

"Hmmm... how many holes does THIS doughnut have?"

"Or THIS one..."

"Oh! I found one with two holes... one on each side!!!"