An Ethical Question

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You work in a pet store and a customer (who is buying all of the male bettas) admits his purchase is for an (illegal) betting (gambling) event

Would you sell the fish to him?

Your input please

Dave :D

no but is there anyhing you can do besides call other shops... is it illegal ??????? but in some sense its kinda like feeding your fish feeders... (looking at 2 sides) but no i dont think its right / another thing is there are other places that it is harder to find jobs are you willing to lose your job over that depending what your boss is like

Yes. That's why the male bettas.

That's happened to me before! But it was just a couple of guys who wanted to fight them. I refused to sell them any fish, and then when they harrassed me about it I got my manager who explained that we are acting out of the best interest of the fish and kicked them out of the store. I work at Petsmart, btw.

I'd call for someone else to start bagging the fish, and go call the cops right there.

You'd most certainly have the police laugh at you.

"Yes occifer, a man is trying to buy fish for illicet purposes! No, no... he doesn't plan to do that with them! ...I don't think

Hmm...is it truly illegal? Did you actually see him doing anything, or just :poo: his mouth off? (need a bull here, not a horse - Tanker, can you help with that?:lol:)

I would highly suggest that putting yourself in the position of making false accusations (otherwise known in court as ones that you CAN'T prove) would not be the way to go.....

Edited by dunl

Hmm...is it truly illegal? Did you actually see him doing anything, or just :poo: his mouth off? (need a bull here, not a horse - Tanker, can you help with that?:lol:)

I would highly suggest that putting yourself in the position of making false accusations (otherwise known in court as ones that you CAN'T prove) would not be the way to go.....

You may not be able to charge him, but you definitley have the right to refuse sale for whatever reason.

I'd call for someone else to start bagging the fish, and go call the cops right there.

You'd most certainly have the police laugh at you.

"Yes occifer, a man is trying to buy fish for illicet purposes! No, no... he doesn't plan to do that with them! ...I don't think

Actually, no. Curious if cops would actually care, I called up a friend of my family, who is a retired cop. He said if a person is admitting to an illegal fight involving any kind of animal, they'd take it very seriously. That's considered organized crime, most often associated with gang activity.

To get a second opinion, I also called another friend of the family, currently an RCMP officer in Tofino, transferring to Nanaimo. He said he'd also take it seriously. The person wouldn't be arrested on the spot, but would definately qualify as cruelty to animals, with a very possible fine.

-Hideo