chichlid id please

Guest New to fish

Guest New to fish

I have an african chichlid approximatley 3 inches long with gold spots on its anal fin. It is colored mauve and has faint stripes when you see it right. It also has a splotch of turquoise behind both eyes right in front of the gills. Please reply if you know what it is. :well:

A little bit more detail will help us guess.

What color is its fins? The bars you mention, are they just really faint or can you actually see barring? Are they the same color as the fish's body?

So far my guess would be Pseudotropheus acei.

Try looking through some of the profiles on websites like www.cichlid-forum.com. Let us know if you seen any that are similar.

Guest New to fish

You can see about 4 faint purple bars on it and the bars are not full bars, they start close to the top and go about halfway down its body. There is a TINY bit of VERY faint yellow olang the top of the dorsal fin, the rest of the fins are a kind of see-through LIGHT blue-purple colour. I did not buy the fish; it came with the tank. I am going to look on the chichlid website right now. Thank you for replying

Guest New to fish

I just got a picture of my cichlid on my digital camera (I didn't know I could use it on my computer) on my computer. :D The picture is too bright and the cichlid is NOT blue like it looks, but it is a picture.

Couldyou also tell me what sex it is please. Thank you

post-737-1144537916_thumb.jpg

Edited by New to fish

Metriaclima callainos, common name; Cobalt Zebra. I would guess that it's a male, but that's just a guess.

Unless you plan on buying a much larger tank, I wouldn't add any more fish with it.

Edited by RD.

M callainos, not Ps. socolofi. Here's a profile....

http://www.cichlidforum.com/profiles/species.php?id=787

http://www.cichlidforum.com/articles/m_callainos.php

HOWEVER, you stated that the fish is not blue like it looks in the picture? Did you mean it wasn't the same shade of blue (due to flash, not a big problem), or that the fish isn't really blue at all (weird lighting, and possible hybrid)?

Guest New to fish

I think it may be a hybrid, because it has some of the characteristics of the Cobalt Zebra on the links you gave me, but it also has other characteristics, such as faint barring and a different color.

I meant that the fish is not blue but really is a light purple that is kind of shiny if you look at it right.