Cowboys and Cichlids

Melody

1. our water is is almost perfect for them

2. beautiful cheap fish.

Hey I will second that! One of the most colorful fish we can have without salt water.

My favorite! :heart: The kids love watching the babies grow and get color.

My son (he is seven) says he loves them because if they don't like their neighbour, they just eat him! :guns:

He calls them carnivores not cichlids....lol

I think you'll find that every province has a strong presence of cichlid keepers, including BC.

Alberta just happens to be blessed with some very high quality independently owned LFS, and some of the best cichlids that money can buy. For this same reason many cichlids are purchased here, and shipped out to BC, Sask, and as far away as Halifax. While it's true that our water is very favourable to a number of cichlid species, we also have access to some of the best fish, including wild caught specimens, which is not something that a lot of provinces can boast about.

Most people are initially attracted to cichlids due to their magnificent wide spectrum of coloration, and the non stop action that many of these species display in captivity. The longer one keeps these fish, the more fascinated one usually becomes with their various behaviours. Cichlids aren't the only ornamental fish that I've kept, or presently keep, but they will always be the species that I am most passionate about.

I know why Cichlids are appealing, I've just never seen the heavy preference within a community like I see here, other than Cichlid communities of course. They're always popular, but there's usually a broader mix in a general community. I noticed it right away and it intrigued me... curious little thing (sounds better than nosey, doncha think? B) ).

I figured you might have a rocking local club or you rope 'em on Saturdays or something...lol. I'm kidding about the cowboy stereotype. I have two brothers who live there, as did my Grandmother for years. I like to scoot over there on occasion - feels more like home to me than BC actually, since I didn't grow up here anyway. I've enjoyed several stampedes - love the atmosphere.

The local water makes sense to me - breeders often work with what they have so I can understand their perfecting the art over the years. Certainly the quality is evident in Canada's Cichlid Capital anyway. :D

So how far back does it go? Were you people (historically speaking) into Cichlids while the rest of Canada was still thinking they were marine fish? :blush:

I was keeping Malawis in 1981-'86 in Kamloops (not quite Alberta), and have kept them off and on since I moved here in '86 (as mentioned, the water is ideal...in fact, Calgary water is a near match for Lake Malawi). Interestingly, the bias is heavier in Calgary than in Edmonton, whereas Edmonton has more planted tank keepers, catfish keepers, and killifish keepers than Calgary.....and we are just 290km apart...go figure.

I was keeping Malawis in 1981-'86 in Kamloops (not quite Alberta), and have kept them off and on since I moved here in '86 (as mentioned, the water is ideal...in fact, Calgary water is a near match for Lake Malawi). Interestingly, the bias is heavier in Calgary than in Edmonton, whereas Edmonton has more planted tank keepers, catfish keepers, and killifish keepers than Calgary.....and we are just 290km apart...go figure.

No wonder you know your stuff - lots of experience there. Brain-picking potential, so noted. :D

The respective geographic bias could be attributed to availability and a bit of 'fad' I suppose. You'll see a lot of BC'ers that are heavily into designer snails and are now getting into rare Livebearers, for example (dunno who is reponsible for that Angel.gif), yet a year ago I couldn't find anyone to discuss that stuff with locally to save my soul. The enthusiasm is contagious I guess.

Regardless, they're certainly worth keeping and I enjoy mine - such intelligence in their eyes... almost human-like. They do become more of a pet - loads of personality.

I'm enjoying hearing everyone's reasons/reasoning - thanks for replying. :)

Not likely a fad, considering one the busiest independently owned LFS in Calgary has been specializing in cichlids for the better part of the past decade. ;)

I didn't say a passing fad - more a trend I suppose.... I thought the example demonstrated my train of thought, sorry about that! :D