How To Handle A Heated Thread

IMHO - If a thread/topic gets heated, and a mod and/or admin feel the need to step in, it should only be in the respect that the person being overly argumentative is sanctioned, not the entire thread or topic. If the mods or admin feel someone is getting carried away, send them a PM explaining why they feel this way, and that if it continues their posts will be removed, and/or they will be banned from the site.

IMO it's kind of ridiculous if everytime someone who starts a thread doesn't like the way it's going, they can simply ask for the thread to be removed, and it is.

Unless of course you want a site where everyone holds hands & sings la-la-la 24/7.

:baby:

IMO there was only 'one' issue in the WC thread that could have been seen as being overly argumentative, and IMO it could have been dealt with via a PM.

To remove the entire thread, because it didn't suit a certain someone's needs, is insulting to anyone who posted in that thread with a legitimite comment or concern on that subject.

It also opens the door to hard feelings as 'some' people may not have had the opportunity to read an explanation given later in the thread, as the entire thread went POOF. It would be nice if a thread could at least be "locked' until reviewed by someone in admin so that any comments posted could still be viewed.

Oxquo called me on a comment I made in that thread, which in fact it should not have been taken in an offensive manner in any way shape or form, and I hope Victor was able to read my response to him before that thread was deleted.

I was simply comparing some prices listed for WC fish on 'this' site, with WC fish listed on the CRLCA, which I had already stated I did NOT think were out of line.

That comment was posted in response to someone who DID feel the prices on the CRLCA were too high. ($30-50 per WC fish)

If nothing else, I hope I at least cleared that issue up.

I usually try to stay out of controvercial threads, but I would have to agree with RD. on this one. I always prefer to see threads that get out of hand locked down, but left posted so that, as RD. mentioned, posters involved in the thread can see that things went too far, as well as it gives others that may come onto the forum later an idea of types of behavior that won't be tolerated. If threads degenerate to name calling and foul language I think it should be edited out, but not deleted as there may be some useful information and/or comments in the earlier part of the thread....just my 2 cents. :rolleyes:

Totally agree. I've never known a board to delete threads.

Also believe RD's comments about people not thoroughly reading posts before replying.

Furthermore, I believe there should be some way to govern and validate breeder's and vendor's claims about the fish they sell. However, I realize this is virtually impossible in the water-world we operate in and feel some buyers may be asking for too much.

I've know boards to delete threads before, but only when using foul language or extremely offensive language - but never for a heated discussion. Locked, maybe, but not deleted. And never deleted with the impression that it is because of an individual's opinion on the subject not agreeing with the poster's.

Furthermore, I believe there should be some way to govern and validate breeder's and vendor's claims about the fish they sell. However, I realize this is virtually impossible in the water-world we operate in and feel some buyers may be asking for too much.

Asking for too much information from sellers would definately become tedious, time-consuming, and all-around detrimental. However, sellers should be willing to provide at least SOME information on their product, IMO.

I've know boards to delete threads before, but only when using foul language or extremely offensive language

It's been my experience that when extremely foul language is used, those comments are deleted, not the thread itself, and the person using that language receives a warning, or suspension, via a PM.

My mistake, I meant comments. You're correct...the whole thread is not deleted.

Unless it is completely vulgar, off-topic, and not related to fish in any way, plus breaking posting rules. :)

As a mod on this forum and after the Archive post section as well as after some consideration, some of thje posts thats were deleted show have been moved and closed. aI think that the admin can still see the deleted threads and it may still be possible to place them in the archive for future reference.

I think for the future, archiving willm be the norm.

The thread is in the archive right now and is not deleted, as posted before any heated thread will be moved to the staff archive and then discussed as to how or what to do to bring it back into the main frame if it contains valid information, you are right RD I do think it should come back as it was a good discussion and i said that before. Although it may be a little crooked it is still viable info unlike other moved threads such as the show us your "discus competition" which was just a complete mess and nothing but bad could come out of it. As the post on WC seemed to be heading in a bad direction someone felt it necessary to pull for the time being, I am sure it will return. I have seen boards where alot of things were deleted and even my wording changed, I couldn't even see the reason for it on some. On others it was rants people get into after a store stiffed them or they bought a faulty piece of equiptment and really went irrate instead of unleashing on the manufacturer. I would like to see posts like the WC be returned to the board but in some cases they actually should be edited because of a comment or two that may be taken out of text. How do you think that should be resolved? Should members be sent back posts like that to edit themselves? Furthermore we are a small Crue here and have to view many posts a day even ones that we have no desire to read only to keep peace, and have members pissed at us for removing threads ahhh thats thanks enough. lol

Oxquo - If admin feels the need for an edit, I think they should go ahead & delete the portions they find offensive. It might be a good idea to make note of the edit on the post, if in fact it's only a portion of the comment that's edited.

I understand that a moderators job can be a thankless one at times, buy hey, that's what you get the big bucks for. :D