links to some snail crushing videos...

dunl

Figured some might be interested in why we like mantis shrimp, so I found some videos of them snapping the snot out of a snail's shell in order to have escargot for lunch. Pretty cool.

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~patek/shrimp...ensnailshot.mov

5000 f/s

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~patek/shrimp...ics/5000fps.mov

cavitation bubbles

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~patek/shrimp...s/20Kstrike.mov

Taken from...

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:eTax5U...t=clnk&cd=5

taking on an emerald crab....slow moving snails wouldn't stand a chance...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=793...q=mantis+shrimp

Do they have to be SW snails?? You think something like an apple snail would survive in SW long enough to be lunch for one of them?

The other way around....I don't think the apple snail would survive long enough for the saltwater to hurt it.

Although having the supreme snot pummeled out of you and being tossed completely out of your shell can't really be a good thing, is it? Maybe I should order some in and see...if I could get them to breed, that would be cool - fresh food each day. But then again, having them crack open one of the big ones would be a better show, IMO.

Oh, and I wouldn't put anything in with them. It'd probably get the puffer in it's sleep, or the other way around.

Melody: How much would it be to order in some feeder snails for both my mantis shimp? :unsure:

Edited by dunl

thats makes me want to do salt water. mantis shrimp are one of the coolest creatures on earth in my opinion. reading about their eyes and different wavelengths and such is really fasinating. the emerald crab video is a bit gruesome, i think its the music, but over all they are cool. i've had the privaledge of seeing one work at a turbo snail for an entire day. the shell after was pretty cool to see. hard to imagine without seeing it first hand what these creatures are capable of.

Well rudy was selling one kick-@$$ smithii...should pick it up from him. :)

Does anyone know if Melody sells feeder snails? Something with a harder shell would be nice, so the mantis doesn't have too easy of a time breaking it open. Haven't seen her on here lately.

That'd be rudy, or it was. I only have two (due to a crapped out filter), but I did have four one time.

You can keep them in a smaller size tank, easy to keep, cheap as hell.

What's saltwater one more saltwater tank anyway saltwater, and you saltwater probably have saltwater a spare one saltwater kicking around,saltwater right saltwater? :ph43r:

Edited by dunl

Does anyone know if Melody sells feeder snails? Something with a harder shell would be nice, so the mantis doesn't have too easy of a time breaking it open. Haven't seen her on here lately.

She's not here, but her spies are <mmmoooooaaawwhahahaha *cough*splutter*>. I'm trying to finish a site for a fish store, so its kept me busy.

To be perfectly honest, Mr. Dunl, the shipping wouldn't be worth while, supposing you can get feeders locally. I used to breed them as a higher quality feeder snail, but I ran out of space. I sometimes offer 'scratchie' applesnails who have cosmetic shell damage for a song, so I can let you know when I have those again if you like. I do know someone who breeds some nice Ramshorn feeders if you want to ship them in, but they're not cheap, especially with shipping.

The best way to do it is to breed your own, as explained in the classifieds, but I can get more into it if you want a plan. Its easy to keep shells nice in Alberta water (supposing its hard in all locations), so the rest is just diet and general health. Its acidic, low Ph that really erodes a shell. They enjoy much the same parameters as African Cichlids.

I'll have to go look to get a name, but you have a local Marisa (Giant Columbian Ramshorn Snail) breeder there - they have thick shells and can be fed when they're small. If you're not fussy about looks, you can also get gold and 'wild' Applesnails from most chain stores for a couple of bucks. Niether breeds as constantly as pests, but with a variety of species you'd be all set. Watch the store Applesnails if you have plants, and make sure you're getting the P. Bridgesii. The other one is a Cana and it will mow your plants. They're not as common now though because they're banned in the States.

All that is assuming you don't want saltwater snails, which I don't deal in. However, you can get hundreds of them on eBay for very little if that is what you need.

And once again she rolls her eyes at herself and mumbles "I will NEVER get rich if I keep this up"...lol...but I don't want you to go to the expense of shipping if you have an alternative. I'd be more than happy to take your money if you want me too though. ;)

Rudy, believe it or not, I used to hate them too - they were pests in my tanks and ate my flowers in the garden. I was talked into them by an evil woman who told me they were good for fry tanks, what with the cleaning and infusoria factor. Then someone said "Hey, I'll give you ten bucks for that pink snail", and I fell in love :heart: . Now they've grown on me and I like playing with the color genetics, but I still don't like them enough to let them crawl all over me like some do. :rolleyes: YUCK!