DIY Switched Power Box

Leon71

I just installed this box on my 55gal. I was so tired of unplugging the filter and the heater for doing water changes. So I made a power center with individual switches to each outlet. 8 switches and 8 duplex plugs (16 outlets). I also put a GFCI outlet on the incoming power. Then you just jumper each switch off the power side and jumper each plug with a ground wire and a return.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/Leo...ox/HPIM0633.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/Leo...ox/HPIM0635.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/Leo...ox/HPIM0636.jpg

Next time, I will find some better plywood. This was just a trial run. I will incorporate the same idea into my stand that I am building. Well, it is only in the design phase right now. Stand and canopy for a 150gal. Stay tuned.

Great idea! Are you going to label each switch? Or, do you have it all memorized? Might be a good idea to label just in case you need someone else to do something for you while you're away. You never know if you're going to need to do an emergency WC!

Could I ask a small favour? A little more detail on the wiring exactly - maybe with a line drawing? Thsi could make a great mini-How To that I KNOW several people are going to be thankful for! We'll pin it up and can use it for the Knowledge Base, later!

But ya, kick butt idea and execution! I have something similar planned if I ever did a proper fishroom for each tank stand, so it's great to see one 'working'.

Wibber, why isn't it to code? It is wired no different than having eight outlets on a 15amp breaker. There are plenty of houses wired this way. I don't think that the switches would make any difference. If I am wrong, then tell me why.

Tanker, I will post a diagram once I can be sure that it meets code. Maybe some modifications are needed.

Thanks, Leon.

It is wired no different than having eight outlets on a 15amp breaker. There are plenty of houses wired this way. I don't think that the switches would make any difference.

Indeed, you can put 12 switched receptacles on a 15A circuit. The largest code violations are terminations in a flammable "box". Electrical arcing and wood are not a good mix. You could solve that by inlaying four guad device boxes and wiring between them.

The metal on the switches are ungrounded. Big violation - even if protected by GFCI.

I'm unclear due to the angle, but it appears that a black conductor was used as a ground. Which should be corrected to green or bare.

All of this is before whether the device is used in a hazardous location.

Electrical is a funny craft - it looks easy. You can put stuff together that functions - but it's not necessary correct, safe or legal.

Wibber,

Thanks for the tips. I will change up the design to incorporate steel boxes. And I didn't have any green wire so I will make the grounds as bare wire. Once again, I appreciate the input. I apologize to anyone who has been misguided by the info. :bow: Please take the time to research basic wiring before attempting to do this on your own. Or, better yet, get an electrician to do it for you.

Leon

• 2 months later...

I like the design of this unit and may very well go with one, but why would this be any better than a power strip or eight outlet power block? Disregarding the actual switches (which are an ingenious idea), is this set up any safer than using power strips? And how is this wired into your house electrical?

To hook it up just cut the end off an extension cord and wire it into the box. I don't know about safer, I'm still looking for 4+ slot outdoor style boxes.

The things that got me looking at this were that 8+ outlet power strips are really expensive and that I liked the idea of having at least one set of plugs I could shut off for my return pumps. I never went quite whole hog like that with the switches.

The other thing that got me thinking was the way my apartment is wired. It works out that I have 3 tanks all on one circuit, nice that I only need 1 GFCI but not so nice that if something in one tank goes then all 3 shut down. I was planning on putting a GFCI in the boxes with each tank, then I got to thinking that it would be nice to have 2 GFCIs in each so I could have say the return pump and a power head separate to maintain some flow if something went. Then add a delay timer for feeding maybe and you've got a $60 power strip :) While that would be nice it's a bit much. I also found 12 outlet power strips at Rona for $12 today.

I haven't really decided what I'm going to do, any input would be appreciated.

I am using power bars with switches and gfis built in