Jumping Plecos

Vapor

Just curious if Plecos jump. Might seem like a stupid question, but I woke up this morning to find a two inch Rubber Lip Pleco a little dried out and quite dead from carpet surfing. Really sucks as this is my first loss in quite some time.

Just curious if Plecos jump. Might seem like a stupid question, but I woke up this morning to find a two inch Rubber Lip Pleco a little dried out and quite dead from carpet surfing. Really sucks as this is my first loss in quite some time.

Sorry for your loss, in an odd way I feel kinda good cause now I know it's

not just me that it happens to... :boxed:

I lost a 12" L25 Scarlett a couple months ago, same thing, jumped out of his

tank. Just last week I lost a 6" common pleco exactly the same way, and the

dang tank even had a lid. He managed to jump his way through a small hole

in the back of the lid. I'm rather paranoid now. Thought angels, cichlids etc

would be the jumpers, well, honestly, I have lost more plecs to jumping than

anything else. Pricey problem too- the L25 was worth about $400. Guess the

trick is to make sure the holes are smaller than the fish, and you lash the top

down just in case they decide to try anyway

fish have been reported to jump out of ponds and such before earthquakes and other metorlogial events.

I may be a bit slow on some days, but I'm sure I would have noticed and earthquake lol.

They say the same thing about some animals freaking out in certain ways, but if that were

the case with fish you'd think there would be a rash of losses for alot of people around the

same time? good question though, hhhmmm I smell a research project hehe

• 2 weeks later...

My common pleco tries for the lid on a nightly bassis. He usualy slams in to it and then goes back down.

I had a arrowana that decided to make a escape and hit my dog right on the head. Harley had no idea what hit him. the strange thing was that he some how got through a opening about 1.5 inches, and he was about a foot long at the time.

The pleco has been doing that from the day we got him.

my plecos shoot up to the surface and back down again all the time, but I'm yet to have them jump out of the tank on me. I think my crayfish might get in fights in the middle of the night though cus every now and then we hear a weird splooshing sound coming from their tank in the middle of the night...maybe they're gettin ready to do a tandem jump :P

Edited by Go4Long

fish have been reported to jump out of ponds and such before earthquakes and other metorlogial events.

I may be a bit slow on some days, but I'm sure I would have noticed and earthquake lol.

They say the same thing about some animals freaking out in certain ways, but if that were

the case with fish you'd think there would be a rash of losses for alot of people around the

same time? good question though, hhhmmm I smell a research project hehe

An earthquake measuring two or even three on the richter scale can be missed by the majority of people. many will mistake a tremor as a momentary loss of balance and not realise it for what it really was.

Probably due to the mass amount of distraction daily life creates for us.

Plecostomus, are amazing jumpers. I had a 5" bristlenose take a fluorescent hood lid off it's hinges.

Maybe being a bottom dweller and watching all the other tank mates swimming about while they are stuck on the bottom or on the glass they feel the need to show everyone up and sometimes go overboard.....literally! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I had an 18" common Pleco that broke a couple of glass tops during the night on my 108g tank, and a 14" or so Silver Arrowana that did the leap of faith through hole where the filter was sitting, funny thing about the Pleco is when he was little he would go into the top of the Aquaclear filters.