Paint off Glass, Egg crate and UnderGravel filters

Ishkabod

Hi everyone.

In prep for my new 80 gallon tank i need to get rid of a few tanks and so i need to know how to remove spray paint from glass.

I also need to know how an Under gravel filter works and if i should bypass it. Also it has a couple of holes in the grate should i leave them or patch them.

_should i have it for under my rockwork so waste doesn't build up

-how do i hook it up

-is the Fluval 205 supposed to be attatched to the filter heads or not(looked like that at the auction)

I just read about egg crate on another persons post. and it got me thinking if i should add it to mine and where i can get some and how much it costs.

- would it affect the UG filter.

Now after all these questions would anyone like to see me do a journal on the progress of setting up this tank and geting the stand and everything ready.

Thanks again

L -ham-

... i need to know how to remove spray paint from glass.

Single sided razor blades will remove the paint.

I also need to know how an Under gravel filter works and if i should bypass it. Also it has a couple of holes in the grate should i leave them or patch them.

_should i have it for under my rockwork so waste doesn't build up

UG filters use a powerhead to move the water through the gravel. I don't think they are used much anymore...

-is the Fluval 205 supposed to be attatched to the filter heads or not(looked like that at the auction)

If you go to Hagen's webpage, they have the manuals there... or click HERE

I just read about egg crate on another persons post. and it got me thinking if i should add it to mine and where i can get some and how much it costs.

- would it affect the UG filter.

You would not need the eggcrate if you use the UG filter. Find eggcrate at Home Depot, etc, (lighting department used to cover large lights in ceiling). I don't think the eggcrate is needed if you have a layer of gravel on the bottom of the tank to break the fall of any rocks.

Now after all these questions would anyone like to see me do a journal on the progress of setting up this tank and geting the stand and everything ready.

Yes :)

Do you know what kind of paint it is, Lisa?

There are several different products to use, all of them toxic.

Goof-Off, paint stripper, go to a body shop supply and get reducer or gun cleaner.

Or you could scrape the paint off, but this will likely scratch the glass.

It's interesting to see how many more suggestions come in.

Rick

Thanks for the info. I'm still unsure about using the UG filter. Should i use it and if i do will it allow me to avoid gravel vacuuming every water change.

Also I've never heard of using a powerhead for the filter. The filter had airstones and tubes inside the clear plastic tubes. I thought that was what was used for the filter. Could i get away with burying a powerhead of some sort under the rocks to push the water into the crate area and then leaving it alone??. One las thing should i patch that hole in the filter or not. Thanks for all the help.

L

P.S. How do i get a journal area??

Edited by Ishkabod

I don't have personal experience with UGF's but I have read many times where they are not good in the long run.

Apparently, the toxins build up under the substrate and cause big trouble.

I think you would be better off with a canister, myself, especially on an 80 gl.

Ditch the under gravel filter, and the fluval 205 is not sufficient either.

It also came with a massive Aqua clear filter. I'll be carefull with the filter but i won't do the whole tube and airstone thingie. It sounds like it can be a bad thing but i think with rocks on to it's best to have it there and gravel vac it really really good once a month so toxins can't build up and if they do they'll go out with the water change. I'm sure worse toxins would build up if i just left the rocks to sit with no movement underneath whatsoever.

Thanks for the help

L

Do you know what kind of paint it is, Lisa?

There are several different products to use, all of them toxic.

Goof-Off, paint stripper, go to a body shop supply and get reducer or gun cleaner.

Or you could scrape the paint off, but this will likely scratch the glass.

It's interesting to see how many more suggestions come in.

Rick

Ya, my concern would be getting rid of the toxic residue if you used a chemical to strip the paint. I have painted, stripped, repainted and am now re-stripping my 210. (don't ask) I have used the razor blade and I have never scratched the glass... Yes, it is possible, but as long as you are moderately careful, it is probably the simplest way to take the paint off.

As far as the UGF, I have had them in the past and always ended up taking them out. IMHO, they are a pain and detrius will still collect under the tray where there is no way to clean it out. Stick with the gravel and regular vacuuming. Or... go for a sand bottom and leave it be. Sand compacts tighter than gravel, so the 'leftovers' stays at the top. If you have good water movement, it will all get collected into your filter. If you have some dead spots, it is pretty easy just to do a spot vacuum to clean things up.

I had a 72 with gravel and an UGF... then changed it to sand bottom. Way cheaper and as I said above, the UGF didn't last more than a year before I turfed it.

Just my 2 cents.

Well for the UG filter i think what i'm going to do is use a filter to PUSH water into the UG filter to keep waste out in the first place and it'll still filter the water. Do you guys think that might work?. Thanks so much for the information on the paint. I'll get my razorblades out after my blister heals from the silicone removal.

Thanks again

Lisa

Well for the UG filter i think what i'm going to do is use a filter to PUSH water into the UG filter to keep waste out in the first place and it'll still filter the water. Do you guys think that might work?. Thanks so much for the information on the paint. I'll get my razorblades out after my blister heals from the silicone removal.

Thanks again

Lisa

You can buy razor blade handles in the paint section of the hardware store. Then your less likely to get blisters.

Thanks again

Lisa

You can buy razor blade handles in the paint section of the hardware store. Then your less likely to get blisters.

One of these are less than $10 bucks and they use standard blades.

90vic05-750.jpg

Thanks again

Lisa

Ahh but then the ever so tricky budget will be thrown out the window and i refuse to use credit. So since i don't NEED it i can't get it without sacrificing something i want or actually need like food.

Thanks for the tip though. Hmm Maybe my dad has one. Yaayyy he probably does so there goes that problem. Thanks so much.

L