55g Journal

Shai

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board so I hope this kind of post is all right in this forum.

Today I bought a 55g tank (48"x13"x20"). I'd like some stocking help so that I know what I want to buy once it's cycled!

This will be a low-light, low-tech planted setup, with java fern, anubias nana, and anubias afzelii to start (these are the plants I have in an existing tank). Substrate will be a fine (2-3mm) gravel.

I have partial stock already in a 10g planted tank. I'll be putting them in the new tank. These are:

1 betta

9 neons

2 panda corydoras

I want to increase the number of neons (not sure how many) and pandas (to 5). I'll be adding shrimp (amanos) as well.

I have lots of room for more tankmates and I'm interested in choosing from the following fish:

harlequin rasboras

otocinclus

cherry barbs

glowlight tetra

dwarf rainbowfish

blue tetra

colombian tetra

Please feel free to suggest others (schooling, bottom dwellers, etc) which will be compatible with my betta. I'd like to have a variety of colorful/interesting-looking fish. :D

Mostly what I need help with is determining the appropriate number of each kind of fish for the tank, how many species I can have in it, that kind of thing. I really have no idea what sort of stocking levels are appropriate for a tank this large.

All help appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Shai

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for replying, Brad!

How about a pair od discus, or a pair of blue rams.

I was under the impression that discus fish require soft water for long-term health. The water in Calgary is very hard and I don't have the resources to get presoftened stuff. They're peaceful, but would my betta be peaceful towards them?

I've had other recommendations for rams. Some are quite beautiful, and it's tempting. I'm not entirely convinced I could get away with them though; the betta may take issue with them too. I've not been able to find any definitive information on whether or not rams and bettas are compatible.

I realize an obvious solution would be to not put the betta in the new tank, except that I'm really limited for space and only really want two tanks in the house.

Wait about 6 months to 1yr for the rams. They tend to not do well in new setups b/c things aren't as stable. Same goes for discus.

From your list, I don't see any problem with any of them, except the columbian tetra - they can be a bit mean. Try about 4-8 of each of them. The barbs and some of the tetras may pick on your betta - they're only really fiesty toward conspecific males.

I'd at least double the recommended filtration for the tank if you're going to go w. as many fish as I just recommended.

If your beta doesn't show any signs of aggression towards its current housemates, it should be fine. I have, in the past, housed a beta with green tiger barbs, blue rams, keyhole cichlids and danios. In each instance, the beta ended up having to be housed separately because he would attack everything that came near him. Even the keyhole cichlids, who bossed the tank. He is a holy terror.

Danios make a nice addition to a community tank. Though not the most aesthetically pleasing, they are one of the most resilient fish I've kept and they are also fun to watch. Danios are easily the most active aquarium fish, as they are always zipping around (very hard to take a picture of these guys!), but they are also very peaceful.

You would need at least a school of 6 of the Columbians and, as Jason pointed out, these guys can be really cheeky. You might want to rethink them, as they are better kept with equally aggressive fish like tiger barbs and serpae tetras.

My preference is for fewer larger schools rather than a big mix. I think the impact of a big school is greater than seeing a few fish here and there.

I'm not sure what the max number you could handle would be but I would suggest:

1. as many neons as possible (~ 12?)

2. as many harlequins or rainbowfish as possible (~ 12?)

3. as many cories as possible (~10?)

4. your betta

* I forgot to mention that ottos are really good at cleaning algae. They should be kept in a school (~5)

plus

5. maybe an angel or two as centerpiece fish (I don't think they'll eat your neons if you get the typical small angels to begin with.)

or

6. something else peaceful that will stand out and add a little variety - I'd suggest some type of gourami but I don't think they'll get along with your betta.

- Golds has several types of apistos, though they're so small they would sort of get lost in your tank. Still, they'd add a little something different

Edited by johnsmith

:D Thanks for the replies!

I don't want *all* the fish on that list, they are just the ones I am interested in choosing from. Since I have no idea how to judge how many species and the number of each I can responsibly house in this tank, I figure I should give myself lots of choices so I won't end up disappointed.

Filtration on this tank is an AC70, so I think I have that covered well. I don't plan on stuffing the tank. : )

If your beta doesn't show any signs of aggression towards its current housemates, it should be fine.

Yes, he's very well-behaved, but the neons and the pandas are much smaller than he is so he has less of a reason to think they are other bettas. With other fish, well, who knows? In my list I have tried to go for the most peaceful varieties I could find.

Thanks for your recommendations!

My preference is for fewer larger schools rather than a big mix. I think the impact of a big school is greater than seeing a few fish here and there.

Agreed. See above comment about providing lots of choices for myself.

5. maybe an angel or two as centerpiece fish (I don't think they'll eat your neons if you get the typical small angels to begin with.)

lol Angels and bettas are not compatible. My betta is my centerpiece fish.

I'm not sure what the max number you could handle would be but I would suggest:...

I don't want quite that many cories, but let's see:

1 betta

15 neons (since I have 9 already and they usually sell cheapest when you buy 6)

12-15 2nd schooling fish species

5 panda corydoras

5? otocinclus (I'd prefer SAE's (2?) over otos but don't know how suitable they might be)

6? malaysian rainbow shrimp

Since this tank is more than five times bigger than the 10g I have already, this stock still seems low to me, but like I said before, I don't really know how to judge. How am I doing so far?

Edited by Shai

SAEs are pretty active, and I haven't seen any agression toward other fish - only amungst themselves. Maybe 2-4. Unload them by the time they get ~4" - they stop eating algae before then, and get a little more nippy w. each other.

Ottos are ideal with smaller fish b/c they don't stick out too much. They do a good job at spot algae and diatoms.

I haven't kept or seen the rainbow shrimp, but if they're like cherry, amano, ghost, etc. they should be fine. They'll likely spend most of the time hidden amongst the plants; but, will pop their heads out occassionally.

Unload [the SAEs] by the time they get ~4" - they stop eating algae before then, and get a little more nippy w. each other.

Hmm. Unload them to where though?

I haven't kept or seen the rainbow shrimp, but if they're like cherry, amano, ghost, etc. they should be fine.

Yes, they are. I got mine from Riverfront; they were selling them as "algae-eating shrimp" but I later found out the actual kind. I just don't know how many I should have in this huge tank!

This week I got the tank out of the box. Woohoo!

I also got the tank onto the table. Double woohoo!

To prep for cycling, I took the sponge out of the ACMini on my 10g, placed said sponge in a mesh bag, and hung it in the 10g. Then I took the sponge from the 55g's AC70 and squashed it into the ACMini. About how long will it take for the AC70 sponge to acquire enough bacteria?

This weekend I plan to get some water into the tank to make sure it doesn't leak, buy the gravel, and thereafter get that plus some ornaments into it.

Once the sponge is ready I'll put in the plants, fill the tank the rest of the way, and get some shrimp. I've been told that I can also put in some of the fish from my 10g to help supply ammonia since the filter will already have bacteria in it—I'll just keep an extra-close eye on the water in case I end up with a mini-cycle.

Still not sure about that overall stocking plan though. Any more ideas/input, anyone?

Edited by Shai

All right so...turning this into a journal...

On the weekend I put in gravel and filled the tank. I also took out most of the (overgrown) wisteria from my 10g, cut it up, and planted it in the 55g. I also put in a castle ornament with java fern already attached. This also came from the 10 and I thought would be a good addition since it ought to be covered with beneficial bacteria.

As was recommended to me on another board, I put the filter media (sponge) from my 10 on the 55 (I have two sponges in the 10, so left one to continue filtering the 10) plus the AC70's proper sponge (which had also been running on the 10) and transferred "half" my existing stock. This amounted to the 9 neons, as I felt it wouldn't be a good idea to split up the school nor use the pandas.

The neons are doing well, showing good color, schooling like I haven't seen them school before, and eating.

Next weekend if the weather is good I am going to Riverfront to get a piece of bogwood or driftwood for the other half of the tank, plus the shrimp and some more plants.

While I was out on the weekend getting the gravel, I checked some of my LFSes for current stock, to see what might be available to complete my stocking plan. For the first time I got to see rams up close (ie, not in a photo) and am interested in having one or a pair in the tank if I can and if my betta will play nice.

No one has yet to let me know if my previous stocking plan is understocked and since this is such a big tank, I'm going to assume it is until I hear differently. Revised stocking plan is:

1 betta (currently in the 10g)

2 rams (to be added much later)

15 neon tetras (currently 9 in the 55g)

15 harlequin rasboras

15 dwarf rainbowfish

5 panda cories (currently 2 in the 10g)

3 otocinclus

6 shrimp

I'm still also interested in cherry barbs and glowlight tetras, but think that this new stocking plan is probably "getting up there" if it isn't maxed out or over the top already. Comments? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shai

With your current filtration, I'd say your list is a little much - I'd drop either the rasboras or the rainbows. If you want to stick with the whole list, keep an eye out for a (recently) used (so you don't have to cycle it) filter - either another AC, or a Canister.

With your current filtration, I'd say your list is a little much - I'd drop either the rasboras or the rainbows.

: ) I'm open to making adjustments.

Do you mean drop as in, lower the numbers, or drop as in, eliminate? On another board it was recommended I reduce the shoaling numbers...but also double the pandas. I'm not sure I want to do that with the pandas, so I compromised with this:

1 betta (currently in the 10g)

2 rams (to be added much later)

12 neon tetras (currently 9 in the 55g)

12 harlequin rasboras

8 dwarf rainbowfish

7 panda cories (currently 2 in the 10g) (willing to stick with 5)

3 otocinclus

6 shrimp

How am I doing now? This drops the shoaling fish by 13 bodies, but the pandas are up by two, from my original plan. I don't have any experience with canister filters (another HOB would probably introduce too much current for the betta) but I'll keep that in mind too!

Edited by Shai

2 filters are a good idea. Its a fairly long tank and with a filter on each end you'd still have a calm spot in the middle for your betta. With 2 filters you don't have to clean them as often , and if one goes down you are still covered.You can also keep a few more fish but don't get too carried away.

2 filters are a good idea. Its a fairly long tank and with a filter on each end you'd still have a calm spot in the middle for your betta.

The way the hoods are designed, the filter is close to the middle of the tank. A second one would be almost right beside it. I'll see how things go for now and keep your comment in mind. Thanks!

So, an update! No pictures for right now, but yesterday I picked up six Malaysian rainbow shrimp (some of them look slightly blue!) as well as two pieces of driftwood. I haven't put the driftwood in the 55 yet, I only had time to get the shrimp acclimatized before I had to go to my grandmother's to help her move.

I'm following a transfer recommendation from an experienced fishkeeper on another board, who said that after a week of running the old filter media on the new tank with "half" my stock I would be able to transfer the remaining existing fish into the 55g, so I'm going to do that today, plus add the driftwood and some more plants.

Last week one of my neons was bullied by his eight buddies (tail fin completely eaten and dorsal fin shredded) so I removed him to the 10g to recouperate. He's doing well and is even showing a very small fringe of new tail fin already. I'm going to leave him in the 10g for now until I'm ready to buy the other 3 neons I need.

After today, the stock in the 55g will be:

1 betta

8 neons

2 pandas

6 shrimp

I think I will wait two weeks before adding any more fish (work on plants in the interim). My question is, what should I aim to stock with next, out of my stocking plan? Should I buy the 3 neons that I need to complete the school, or the 5 pandas? Or the otos? Does it really matter?

Ottos next, is my recommendation. With the plants and driftwood coming in, you'll likely also be introducing some algae. If you're starting w. 1" pandas, go ahead and add them, too - at least, that's what I would do.

In response to my earlier suggestion (dropping the rasboras or rainbows), I meant go without them. I'm not opposed to large shoals - I had a 55 w. 75 cardinals in it, it looked AWESOME! :drool: