55g Journal

Shai

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a 55 with about 75 cardinal tetras in there - it looked great! I might recommend to add another dozen neons, and bring the razbora pop'n up to 12-15.

As for a centerpiece fish, if you start it off smaller, you could probably go with anything 'peaceful' - a couple angels, sevrums, aquidens.

Your tank is looking great! I'm very impressed - I think I'll be looking for some more driftwood :D

• 4 weeks later...

from my experiace with angel fish if you get them when there small there pretty friendly with there tank mates even at a large size.....my angels are 6inches in diammeter and the only time they go after any one is like sam said when there spawning even then there not to out of controll or when i have added new fish to the tank(tiger barbs) they really didnt like thoses barbs but they got used to them............anyways good luck your tank is comeing along nicely :D

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments!

Edited by Shai

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to basically start over with this tank, stocking-wise.

After I get rid of the fish I no longer want (I need to offload my neon tetras somewhere. Anybody know an LFS I can trade them in at?), I'll be left with:

9 cherry barbs

4 neritina zebra snails

6 Malaysian rainbow shrimp

Still planning to add:

5 bronze cories

8 dwarf neon rainbowfish

Even though the 20g in my sig is sorely understocked, I'm stuck for now with keeping the cherry barbs in the 55g (they don't get along with the betta. When the betta eventually goes to fishy heaven I can move them back. This could be several years from now though). I'm interested in turquoise, boesemani, and possibly australis rainbowfish. These grow a lot bigger than what I have stocked in the past though...

Edited by Shai

Potential new stocking list...

9 cherry barbs

8 dwarf neon rainbowfish

5 turquoise rainbowfish

5 bosemani rainbowfish

5 bronze cories

4 neritina zebra snails

6 Malaysian rainbow shrimp

I'm actually more excited about this plan than the original one. I saw a couple tuquoise rainbows at Petland today, very nice! Tomorrow I'm picking up the sand I need to make the cory sandbox. Shortly thereafter I'll likely get the cories or perhaps the dwarf neons. I still have the neon tetras to get rid of before I can pick up the larger fish.

: ) Added the cory sandbox yesterday. The dish I ended up using was a glass Pyrex pie plate, about 10" across. Osprey donated the sand in exchange for the three harlequin rasboras I still had. It was actually pretty easy to get it into the tank without getting a whole lot of sand everywhere. I hope the cories will like it, once I get them.

Osprey also gave me six trumpet snails. I put four in this tank and two in my 20g. Haven't seen them since they disappeared into the gravel. :3

55g06.jpg

Edited by Shai

• 2 weeks later...

More pictures!

One of the zebra nerites recently added. Fantastic snails. : )

zebra.jpg

One of the Malaysian trumpet snails given to me by Osprey. Thanks! The different shell shape is a neat contrast in the tank (when I can see them!)

mts.jpg

I also have a video of my cherry barbs and neon tetras mobbing an algae wafer. The harelquin rasboras I had also make a brief appearance (I've since given them away).

Today I picked up 8 dwarf neon rainbows. It looks like I ended up with two males and six females:

dwneon1.jpg

dwneon2.jpg

In a few weeks I'm going to rescue the bronze corydoras I'm after from a Wal-Mart nearby. The specimens they have look okay but, as usual, the conditions they're in are terrible. If they're still there once I'm ready to get them, I'll be doing them a favor...

Edited by Shai

• 1 month later...

With the MTS, if there is enough food for them at the bottom they will breed like crazy. I have a 90g and a sand bed of about 5-6inchs, and just befor the lights go out you can see the sand bed come alive realy net. They are by far the the best snail to have to stir up your gravel and sand bed.

Edited by lukep77

• 2 months later...

*digs out the thread*

*wipes off the dust*

Wow! Three months since I last posted about my tank. : )

Yes, I do indeed have a healthy brood of MTS now. Not overrun, but still too many worth counting. Anybody want some? :D

When I posted last I was still intending to get (rescue) some bronze corydoras (from Wal-Mart). Despite multiple attempts to do this, I wasn't actually able to get the fish even though they are still there. Every time I go in, there is no staff in the department and no one else willing to help. I started thinking about going in with my own bag, net, and container to get them myself, but then saw a post in the Livestock forum about panda corydoras, and have decided instead to give them another try, as long as the deal with the seller works out.

My tank has changed in other ways... Shortly after my last post my plants really started to suffer, since I only had about half a watt per gallon of light. In June I was finally able to get a new light priced within my budget. I now have 2.36wpg so my plants have recovered nicely, though I still have to look into adding DIY CO2. I added some crypts as well as Alternantheria reineckii "roseafolia" (very nice looking). Still haven't found anything suitable for hardscape, though I did remove one of the smaller pieces of driftwood to put it in my 20g.

Future plans include adding a powerhead for the rainbowfish to enjoy. Slow going, but I'm still enjoying it!

Picture! Compared with older shots, you can really see the difference with the new light! Thanks for looking. : )

55g07.jpg

Edited by Shai

Thanks!

I'd like to know how changing a few things in my intended stocking plan will impact my options.

The orignal plan was:

9 cherry barbs (8 stocked)

8 dwarf neon rainbowfish (6 stocked)

5 turquoise rainbowfish

5 boesemani rainbowfish

5 bronze cories

4 neritina zebra snails (5 stocked - 1 offspring!)

6 Malaysian rainbow shrimp (stocked)

MTS (stocked)

I have since decided to put the cherry barbs in my 20g. I have also decided to go with panda cories instead of the bronze. The question is whether or not these changes, along with only having 6 neons would allow me to have 7 turquoise rainbowfish instead of 5.

In a 55, I'd go with either the Turquois or Boesemani rainbows, as they can get pretty big. I think 7 would be fine with your current stocking levels.

Pretty much all of the plants you have in there will be fine as you have it - your Alternantheria will love some CO2, however. Feed the CO2 into your powerhead, and you'll be laughing! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, Jason!

A few days ago I needed to move this tank to another location in my living room. It was an opportunity to give the tank a thorough cleaning and a rescape. However, I did discover out of six shrimp I have only two left. : (

I also had new fish come in that I ordered from fryguyzzzz--seven turquoise rainbows and six panda cories. Great specimens. Thanks again!

The six pandas, still a bit drowsy. So cute!

6pandas.jpg

And (most of) the turqoise rainbows, also drowsy. Some were camera shy and hid behind bubbles stuck to the bag.

turqs.jpg

Here is what the tank looks like now:

55g08.jpg

Lots of movement! It's great to see the pandas digging around in the sandbox. The turquoise rainbows are fantastic, great color even at their young age. They're still too fast for me to get a picture though. I need more practice!

I'm finally starting to feel really happy with the way the tank looks. As you can see, I put the two large pieces of driftwood together--they now form a great hidey-hole area for the fish. The last small piece that is shown in the photo I posted last time got moved to my 20g to help create a similar hidey-hole formation in there.

In the middle, where the sandbox is, I am going to focus mainly on plants. I need to find some small pieces of slate or other rock to put around the sandbox to both hide the edge of the dish and help keep the gravel out of the sand. Perhaps some sandstone from the river would be nice.

On the right, where the rock ornament is right now, I am going to add a DIY slate rock formation, once I have a chance to stop by Burnco or Ornamental Landscape. After my next paycheque or two (I have some expenses coming up) I'll be able to get the slate. The idea is to add more caves and shelter areas, plus hide the heater.

Haven't bought the powerhead yet nor started CO2 either, but soon!

A few more pics. : )

A close-up of the driftwood formation:

wood.jpg

A side-view:

wood2.jpg

And, just because I can, one of the zebra nerites munching along:

zebra2.jpg