Now don't go get all excited on me....

dunl

But let's say I had a spare 50g kicking around that I might decide to go New World with. Possible sump as well, possibly not.

What would you put in there if you've never done New World cichlids before, but you have experience mainly with Africans and salt?

And NO Tim, I am NOT putting a giant squid in there. -01-

-roll-

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figured you, Rudy, or Canucklehead would be one of the first to reply. :lol:

I have my 150g that i will give you a smoking deal on if you use it for New Worlds.

P.M. me if interested. :beer:

:shock: I take the tank, you pay for my divorce? :shock:

I would sugest going with Juraparis.

I think Petland Red Deer still has two Honduran Red points. I bought two of them, and there were still two left. The two that are left have paired off from what I could tell.

They get bigger.....around five inches i think....so i've read anyways. The two I have have colored up nicely.

How about Severums or Festivums?

My suggestion is Geophagus steindachneri "Red Hump Eartheater"

very cool looking fish and only reach ~6"

So your 50 would work

Unless you are trading a tank for a divorce....That might be worth it too!:)

Edited by Canadbis

I think Petland Red Deer still has two Honduran Red points. I bought two of them, and there were still two left. The two that are left have paired off from what I could tell.

I was just looking at them today, nice pair, and they would be a good fit for a 50 gallon once fully mature.

I believe that they are now listed as a "pair", and they are the last ones available here in RD.

There's 1 escondido left, but according to some folks in the US that have raised this variant out to maturity, their males have reached a solid 12", so not exactly suited to a 50 gallon.

I was just looking at them today, nice pair, and they would be a good fit for a 50 gallon once fully mature.

I believe that they are now listed as a "pair", and they are the last ones available here in RD.

There's 1 escondido left, but according to some folks in the US that have raised this variant out to maturity, their males have reached a solid 12", so not exactly suited to a 50 gallon.

Neil,which Geophagus did you have for a short time?

I've had a few, if you mean the adult male ..... that was sold as a G. surinemensis, but according to Lee Newman from the Vancouver Aquarium, these are typically never exported from Surinam, but are related species. Most of them will also max out at 10" when fully mature, and do best in a 6ft tank. There's currently only 1 geo left at Petland, looks like a male (but that's just a guess) and it's a G. sp. "Tapajos Orange Head". All of the geos are slow growers, including this species, but it too can reach 8" when fully mature, and from what I've heard, also does best in a 6ft tank when mature. (due to conspecific aggression)

Petland had some G. steindachneri (Red Humps) in a while ago, but even though they are smaller in size, IMO a 36x18 tank would be a tight fit once the male starts breeding. (if you are keeping a breeding group)

Any one of these fish will work for a while in a 50 gallon, but for long term success the pair of HRP's would be your best bet. If I had another tank set up, I would have already bought them. ;)

Edited by RD.

Thanks for the info Neil, but my apologies - I'm being an idiot here. I was wondering where you got the 36" tank idea from, then I realized I posted this as a 50g.

It's actually a 4ft 55g tank, not a 50g. Gallon-wise not so much of a difference, layout - totally.

I'll have to drop in and check out the HRP's....looking on the net, they just look like colourful convicts to me. IOW, nothing really special.