20 Gal Mekong River Biotope Photo Journal

Slough Shark

I'm pretty sure glass cats don't get rid of algae if that what you mean

Yes that was what I was asking about.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for the nasty hair algae that my pleco has been taking care of, I am whole hog on the SAE solution. Like I said, for the nasty stuff on the glass, I will just use a sponge pad :thumbs:

I should be getting some Java Moss today, and may be getting rid of my Pleco this weekend- everything is set for new fish ^_^

Stocking:

3 Betta Splendens (1 Male, 2 Females)

I probably missed any discussion about this particular choice, so forgive me if this has been said. Are you prepared for the fighting this combo is going to induce? All the reading I've ever done on bettas says the males and females only get along when it's time to mate and will tear each other to pieces the rest of the time. If you want more than one betta, you have to stock only females, and even then, you still run the risk that one of the females will become dominant, harrassing and possibly even killing the others.

Thanks for educating me Shai lol! New list... again:

Mekong River (Thailand) Biotope (20 Gal):

Stocking:

1 Honey Gourami

5 Sparkling/ Pygmy Gourami or 5 Espe’s Rasboras

1 Weather Loach

4 Java (Black Kuhli) Loaches

Plants:

Java Moss

Substrate:

Light Brown Aquarium Sand

Decoration:

Driftwood (x2)

Filtration:

AquaClear 70

Edited by Slough Shark

I've added two new fish and taken out the betta. I purchased a Male Guppy who will go into my Frog Paludarium in the distant future, and a Honey Gourami. The Gourami is GORGEOUS, sadly, they aren't native to Mekong River, so my Biotope will be a little bit off. I NEEDED THE GOURAMI :wub:

The above post with the stocking list is now updated :smokey:

The Gourami is GORGEOUS, sadly, they aren't native to Mekong River, so my Biotope will be a little bit off. I NEEDED THE GOURAMI :wub:

lol You could have given the all-female bettas a try to keep the biotope in line, but if you like the gourami, that's what matters most.

Hope to see pics soon!

I understand the need for the gourami.

I was in Nature's Corner store on Friday, I fell in love with the gouramis there. The trouble is choosing which colour, there are so many and they are all so pretty.

And it is a mighty fine looking one at that. Where did you get her?

PetPros in Spruce Grove LOL, strange because I don't usually get good fish from there :eh:

The Fancy Guppy I bought there, just died, found him wrapped around the filter Intake- probably too much current for the little pansy :lol:

I'm so happy though, my Male betta is getting along with the Gourami. Not a problem at all :thumbs:

Hows the fish room for yah?

Edited by Slough Shark

Hows the fish room for yah?

Coming along rather nicely. Tanks for asking

I'm so happy though, my Male betta is getting along with the Gourami. Not a problem at all :thumbs:

This probably won't last. Mixing bettas and gouramis is a no-no because they are too closely related (both are labyrinthian fish) and can mistake the other as a rival. Eventually you'll probably get fighting. : (

(And I'm confused...in your Feb 10 post you said you took the betta out of this tank.)

Fabulous picture though. She's actually the flame variety of gourami. I was thinking about getting one of these for my 55g to replace the betta I couldn't keep in it.

Yeah I did some research before I added the two in, still no problems though :thumbs: I figured because the Gourami is a female and bigger than the betta, that the violence would be toned down a bit. The betta hasn't even flared at her :D

I did take the betta out earlier, sorry for the confusion LOL I wasn't sure about how the Betta would react to the Gourami and Fancy Guppy, but once the guppy died, I decided to chance it.

My Gourami is NOT a honey gourami, damn I hate it when the LFS mislabels. Mine is a red (or "Flame") variation of the Dwarf Gourami (Colisa Lalia) not a Honey Gourami (Colisa Chuna).

And Nick, I would have to agree with you, that fish room is BANGIN' :beer:

Edited by Slough Shark

• 2 weeks later...

I just added 5 Harlequin Rasboras, things are starting to come along. All I need now is 4 Black Kuhlis, anyone know where in Edmonton/Area to get me some?

Current Stocking:

1 Betta Splendens

1 Weather Loach

5 Harlequin Rasboras

1 Common Pleco (Not looking too healthy)

Unfortunately, the Gourami got some kind of Infection, you can see the start of it in the picture i posted. There it's just a small white spot below/behind it's dorsal fin. It gradually got larger, then the Scales in the surrounding area peeled off, leaving the skin unprotected. It ripped and started to bleed, there wasn't much I could do, I put it in my Sisters tank and there it died, too bad.

For some reason my Pleco is looking REALLY pale and hasn't moved in days (not that I've seen), it hasn't sucked the Glass or Driftwood in at least a week. I tried getting a pic, but it doesn't show pale when I look at it on the LCD or on the Computer, oh well.

Thats all for now!

Taylor