20 Gal Mekong River Biotope Photo Journal

Slough Shark

The plant does look like a true aquatic. However, you tank looks better suited for slower growing plants. If you want to stick w. the biotope theme, try a few Crypt. wendtii, Anubias barteri, Java fern. They may not all be in the Mekong River, but they'll be close. :)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! It looks very nice. Great photos of the shrimp too, nice details!

I agree with Jason, try some of the slower growing plants. Crypts are very nice (green wendtii is a favorite of mine) and java fern will work well too. I kept anubiases when I first started out but found I just couldn't get them to stay rooted to ornaments, but you might have better luck. : )

Use an elastic - by the time the elastic dissolves, the Anubias will be firmly rooted.

Sounds good, I was planning on having Java Fern and Moss for sure! Thanks for the tips and compliments all!

Degrassi- The leaves are pretty messed up now, the plant is quite rotten and I think I should take it out soon. It has a bamboo type stem, then a few rows of leaves that circle the top. They are just round leaves, there are about three rows that gradually grow smaller closer to the top. I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Heres the tank now:

MekongUpdate.jpg

I can't believe the difference when theres no green in the tank. I NEED to get some tape grass ASAP Java moss/fern would be good too. But I better get a recipe for CO2 injection first. I've been dreading it for a while now, but I need healthy plants so...

I may add a school of Sparkling Gourami if the Rasboras turn out to not be enough with plants and all.

Now I would like to say to anyone who's been watching- thanks for all the tips and encouragement, it has been great! And sorry for all the changes in plans and all (I'm still trying to sort out what to do with my 25 Gal). This has been my first real aquarium, so thanks for sharing it with me.

:blush: