20 Gal Mekong River Biotope Photo Journal

Slough Shark

I'm not sure but you could phone around to some of the LFS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried all the ones I know (or will go to) I have learned not to buy fish from Big Als, so all I can go to is AquaGiant and Aquarium Illusions (who don't have much fro FW, but great service and lots of SW selection)!

I also need some java moss. WTF is going on here, how can none of my LFSs have freaking JAVA MOSS?!?!!?

RIP Unnamed Pleco, you will not be forgotten... -_-

On a happier note, these Rasboras are Crazy!!! I don't know if all schooling fish have this behavior, but these little guys go into a FRENZY when I put food in!! I had to take the Betta out, he was being a real Jerk to the little guys, so to compensate for taking out the Betta, I will add 2 or 3 more of these Rasboras (more likely three cause I love em :w00t: )

I need to make a bit of a new stocking list now, I will certainly keep the weather loach (doin fine) and the rasboras, I was thinking of getting a Atyopsis moluccensis I believe they are called the Asian Fan Shrimp? Anyways, I figured one or two of these guys would help keep the Java Moss clean of filth and uneaten food as well as some algae. If not, I may just cheat and use Japonica Shrimp or something, basically whatever Asian Shrimp I can get my hands on. EDIT: Well damn, those Fan Shrimp are crossed off already, too big :grr: How depressing. I suppose I'll just go with any Cardina or Neocardina Genus.

I'm really starting to have a rough time keeping to the Biotope Restrictions, but I still want this, so hopefully I can keep it close!

I haven't been able to really go anywhere, I am pretty much limited to every second weekend or so. Man it sucks when you have no selection at the Local LFS and you can't get to the LFS in a 30 Min. radius!!!!

Anyways thats all for now, still on the hunt for some Moss!!

Taylor :smokey:

Edited by Slough Shark

• 3 weeks later...

I grabbed myself 3 More Rasboras and now the school is really tight, it looks great! I have been having troubles with Brown Algae, so i added a couple otos to get rid of that. I know its cheating, but I can just cycle them from the 10 Gal to this tank every month or so (or maybe I'll just be lazy and leave them be)!

I saw some "Blueberry" shrimp- they were almost 10 Bucks a piece, I thought that ridiculous for shrimp that wont grow past 1"! I also saw a "Vampire" Shrimp and the Asian Flower/Fan shrimp I was going to get.

Any Ideas on genus for the blueberry and/or vampire shrimp?

From what I've heard, blueberry shrimp are very similar to Cherry shrimp. I've never kept them, tho.

Still looking for Java Moss? I've got lots. (lots of Cherry shrimp, too)

Sounds like the tank is really coming along, Taylor! Too bad about the pleco and the gourami (and the betta! They can be such grumps sometimes). In the long run you're probably better off though. When will you be posting more pics?

As soon as I can find the stupid charger to my Camera. It's really painful when I can't find it, especially when summer is coming and I just got back from Jasper/Banff without it!!!!

It's not fair :cry:

Though that sucks, I did pick up 4 Ghost Shrimp and 4 Black Kuhlis, so all I need now is that Asian Fan Shrimp and its done! I grabbed some strange bamboo looking plant and added a nice big rock to the center. I also added a bit of natural gravel to give it more of a river look and the loaches anjoyed burrowing in and out of the sand and weaving through the gravel.

So everything is coming along, soon I should have some pics, and soon the tank will be done!

Thanks for watching this tank evolve and giving me some tips everyone!!!

Edited by Slough Shark

I'm looking forward to seeing it Taylor, and I don't realy think leaving the otos will be a noticable thing.

I grabbed some strange bamboo looking plant

Got a pick of this plant? There are a few bamboo-looking plants being sold in pet shops that aren't aquatic, and will eventually die and rot. :grr:

Jason- Yep, it's starting to rot, I can take a pic before it is too deminished if you'd like. Thanks for the offer on the shrimp, but as you may have read, I've got some ghost shrimp now and two of em are pregnant.

Nick- Thanks, one died a while ago because of the crap thats on the bogwood, and today I came home from school and the other was dead too (I would have removed him, but theres no where to put him). It really sucks because those little guys are so cute!

Pics coming as soon as we get a new computer, I found the charger, but now the computer doesn't work!! It had better be a Macintosh (the new computer that is)

Many Thanks

Taylor