20 Gal Mekong River Biotope Photo Journal

Slough Shark

Here are some more pics of my tank, I think this will be the beginning of my journal (for my Asian Biotope) a sort of a prequel or prelude to my documentary of the actual Biotope setup. This will be my first biotope, and my first stab at some serious fish-keeping. So here are some pics of my tank after I purchased a black background and put it on. I will be reading some articles on aquatic photography, so hopefully my photos will get progressively better as I take pics. Here we go!

Heres a full shot of the tank with the new black background, looking good!

TisNewbackground.jpg

Heres my best pic of my Pleco yet

BetterPlecPic.jpg

My loach, who will be the centerpiece of the Biotope

PiscineBarometer.jpg

Ugh I hate my Gravel, its so unnatural

Here we have the beats of my tank HARVEY!

HarveyPortrait.jpg

This is my choice of the substrate for the asian biotope, bought at AquaGiant a great place!

Purchase.jpg

And heres a look at some more of that luscius driftwood that I found

Purchase02.jpg

Once I start taking pics I just never want to stop! -roll- Ah well, I'm getting better!

So there it is, the begginning to my Documentary, I hope you folks enjoy watching my tank evolve and unfold as much as I do!

Edited by Slough Shark

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your loach will love the finer substrate when you put it in. Mine kept burying himself when I switched to sand. Eventually named him Waldo as you had to go searching for him everyday. Looking forward to more pictures.

Glad to see that more people are going for a natural look rather than the blue or pink gravel and sunken pirate ship air bubbler

I vetoed the whife on that immediately myself

Thanks for the replies! It was $30 for my Gravel (25 Lbs) just like spcy said. Ya, I figured the loach would like the sand much better, I've read multiple accounts of them burying their whole bodies in sand with only their little heads sticking out. Mine has been swimming up the current of the fluval filter back and forth, he's such a character!!!! :wub:

Oh and BTW I detest all that corny/tacky bubble chest crap, even those little alligator heads, it disgusts me, who wants that in an aquarium besides little kids? It ruins the look completely unless its a pathetic stereotypical 10 Gal goldfish tank with fake "Nemos" and "Dorys" in it!!!!! -roll-

I may be going out stand hunting tommorow when my Dad gets back from work (Can't wait till I can drive!!!) and then I can set up the 25 Gal, and get it all ready for the fish to enter. I think I'll use the Koi as bait :D There may be more pics up tommorow, we'll see!

Thanks again folks!

Edited by Slough Shark

Ok so there is a very slight change, since my Mekong River Biotope (the one that I was going to document in this journal) has a bit too much fish for a 20 Gal, so it will be going in my 25 Gal. This means that my Krishna River (India) Biotope will be going in the 20. Wich also means that this journal is changed to "20 Gal Krishna River Biotope Photo Journal".

Ok so here is the stocking list (Mekong River Biotope list included):

Krishna River (India) Biotope (20 Gal):

3 Golden Panchax Killifish

3 Zebra Loaches

4 Giant Danios

Mekong River (Thailand) Biotope (25 Gal):

2 Badis

1 Weather Loach

5 Glass Catfish

4 Java (Black Kuhli) Loaches

There are the lists, still waiting to get a stand, so nothing exciting will be done until I can get one!

These 2 set ups sound like reasonable loads on the tanks with good filteration. So now you will have to research your plants. Keep us updated. :D

I don't think this is too complicated, but that slight change I was talking about- just pretend I never said anything about it. The Mekong River Biotope is in the 20 Gal, the Krishna River Biotope is in the 25 Gal, end of story. So I finished all my planning (I think) it's been very frushtrating, it was fairly easy to get accurate information on each of these ecosystems, but extremely hard to get any information on the habitat of Malabar Puffers, obvioulsy they come from Malabar, India, but I'm looking for information a LOT more specific than that! Anyways, here are my plans as they are (done I think):

Krishna River (India) Biotope (25 Gal):

Stocking:

3 Golden Panchax Killifish

3 Zebra or Common Spiny Loaches

4 Giant Danios

Plants:

Dwarf Hygrophila

Water Wisteria

Substrate:

Brown Aquarium Sand (22 Lbs)

Natural River Gravel Blend

Decoration:

River Rocks

Filtration:

Whisper 60

AquaClear 20 Powerhead

Mekong River (Thailand) Biotope (20 Gal):

Stocking:

3 Betta Splendens (1 Male, 2 Females)

1 Weather Loach

5 Glass Catfish

4 Java (Black Kuhli) Loaches

Plants:

Java Fern

Dwarf Rotala

Substrate:

Light Brown Aquarium Sand

Decoration:

Driftwood (x2)

Filtration:

AquaClear 70

Fluval 4

There they are, many lomg hours were put into researching the regions to get accurrate information, I think it's pretty close :D

Edited by Slough Shark