Tank of the month

Tank pictures in a poll type question?

Like posting pictures then have a 1-5 rating scale, that would eliminate the need for the WOW! NICE TANK! posts. Everyone could look and vote. And below post any questions regarding fish/plants/coral/etc.

Just a suggestion.

And again... the GALLERY HAS A RATING SYSTEM where you can vote and see who's tank is the fan-favorite.

As well... it would be nice if the ideas being tossed around could limit the amount of 'mod involvement' as a ) we may like to get in on this, too and would be in conflict and b ) we have enough to do without managing one more monthly activity. Bear in mind we are volunteers with full-time lives, here.

Why can't someone just start a "post your tank" thread like always and we'll let it die from lack of interest like they always do?

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of just posting tanks with some info about them without all of the comments from other readers. They could be classified by size of tank or type of fish.

Other forums do that, I post an example below.

http://www.cyphos.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=7

Edited by punman

Just my two cents...

And again... the GALLERY HAS A RATING SYSTEM where you can vote and see who's tank is the fan-favorite.

Since you're repeating yourself, it seems that a ) the gallery obviously does not come to mind as an alternative, therefore b ) the fact that is has a rating system goes largely unnoticed. Perhaps if the gallery were somehow made more prominent, exasperated posts like this one wouldn't be necessary.

As well... it would be nice if the ideas being tossed around could limit the amount of 'mod involvement' as a ) we may like to get in on this, too and would be in conflict and b ) we have enough to do without managing one more monthly activity. Bear in mind we are volunteers with full-time lives, here.

I can understand this sentiment, as I manage two websites plus a forum myself. On the other hand...

Why can't someone just start a "post your tank" thread like always and we'll let it die from lack of interest like they always do?

...attitude from site mods has a pretty big impact on site visitors. It's within admin rights to not be keen on an idea, but the Suggestion forum was put here for suggestions, and taking an "It's doomed to failure anyway" approach doesn't reflect well on the mod making the post, nor the site in general.

Apparently there's some interest in this idea, or certain forms of it, and obviously some of the site members are trying to invest some of their own creativity and desires in this forum. If you don't believe it's a good idea, that's perfectly all right, but instead of being so negative about it, why don't you try to look constructively at the discussion and suggest ways in which the site could be improved to come to a compromise?

But again, just my two cents.

Since you're repeating yourself, it seems that a ) the gallery obviously does not come to mind as an alternative, therefore b ) the fact that is has a rating system goes largely unnoticed. Perhaps if the gallery were somehow made more prominent, exasperated posts like this one wouldn't be necessary.

IMO, we should probably just can the gallery. It was something that people asked for over and over again, and never really used once it was implemented. Obviously, if members aren't using it, there's no need for it, right?

but instead of being so negative about it, why don't you try to look constructively at the discussion and suggest ways in which the site could be improved to come to a compromise?

But again, just my two cents.

Okay, to be really blunt? Just because a member joins a couple of years after the site opens doesn't mean that the first time they hear of an idea that it is an original one. Look earlier in the thread...it's been tried, and it died from lack of interest.

If you want a compromise, start a tank thread and ask people to only post their tank pictures and specs, without replies or comments of any kind.

Just because a member joins a couple of years after the site opens doesn't mean that the first time they hear of an idea that it is an original one.

This is quite true and valid. But you'll notice I never said the idea was original. : )

However, just because it wasn't successful in the past doesn't mean it won't be this time around. There are more/different members now than there were then, and as mentioned, maybe some kind of compromise or variation (there doesn't seem to be a consensus yet) on the ideas being discussed currently will have better results. Or not. Who knows? Ultimately it is an admin decision and everyone will have to respect it, but what is the harm in discussing further without the ideas being shot down outright and possibly making an attempt at some point?

Edited by Shai

Shai has some valid points, but the fact of the matter is we can't find anyone to organize it at this time.

Mostly because everyone is too busy with other stuff and also who wants to waste valuable time on a project that has failed in the past.

Please note: We are not saying we will never try again, but that we will be looking onto doing something of this nature, just not at this time.

Thankyou,

Jay.