Change of plans....

blainetyson

Thanks for the help, it gets pretty confusing!

I really like these two (thanks jvision for the suggestion)

Melanochormis cyaneorhabdos

Pseudotropheus saulosi

So far i have striped dark blue, light blue and yellow(females p.saulosi)

Would Cynotilapia afra work with these two fish?

Any suggestions on the 4th group??

Thanks again,

Chantell

C. afra females are drab in color.

I also suspect that you might find that your adult male cyano's, will take a serious disliking to any male saulosi (too similar in color), and the end result will be your dom male saulosi taking a beating, and never showing that great of color. Any sub dom male saulosi will most likely never color up.

It's impossible to say with 100% certainty, but that would be my bet.

Well i am learning alot more then just reading about the fish!!

Ok so i want a colorful, "show" tank

I like blues mostly, but any mix of color will do

I really like the striped fish, example Metriaclima sp. "Black Dorsal Heteropictus", this is a beautiful fish to me

I do not want to grow out fry, i would rather nature took its course

All suggestion are welcome because everyone knows more then me about this, and i am abit confused with all of this!!

I came up with my "list" by seeing what i like in the cookie cutters, cichlid-forum.com

Thanks again!!

Chantell

Well i am learning alot more then just reading about the fish!!

Ok so i want a colorful, "show" tank

I like blues mostly, but any mix of color will do

I really like the striped fish, example Metriaclima sp. "Black Dorsal Heteropictus", this is a beautiful fish to me

I do not want to grow out fry, i would rather nature took its course

All suggestion are welcome because everyone knows more then me about this, and i am abit confused with all of this!!

I came up with my "list" by seeing what i like in the cookie cutters, cichlid-forum.com

Thanks again!!

Chantell

Talk to edmguy about different Metriaclima spp. He's got a couple that are GORGEOUS!

Chantell ...... A few things that you need to keep in mind. Not all of the fish profiled on CF are easily found in these parts, so it would be best if you stick to species that you are certain you can locate when planning your stocking list. Also, a lot of the species that are blue with vertical barring, such as the Metriaclima sp. "Black Dorsal Heteropictus", have drab colored females, very drab, so these species aren't exactly the making of a "show tank". Last but not least, it's best to stock with species that are not overly similar in color &/or patterning, as those males will constantly be waging a war against each other.

If you prefer blue striped fish, you might consider Pseudotropheus demasoni, where both males & females have great color.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=849 You need to stock this particular species on the heavy side (I would suggest approx 25 for a tank your size) in order to keep their aggression evenly dispersed. Yellow labs mix well with them, and with 12-15 yellow labs added to the mix you would have a great looking show tank, with a very striking combination of colors.

Also, both species can be found locally without too much difficulty.

HTH

Edited by RD.

Well, i now have to chose between 2 different stocking list

Pseudotropheus demasoni

Labidochromis caeruleus

Metriaclima estherae

Labidochromis caeruleus

Pseudotropheus socolofi

Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos

Q- how hard are these fish to get around here??

Thanks so much everyone for the ideas, suggestions.

I will let you all know what i have decided, when i have decided.

Chantell

All those fish should be easy enough to find around Edmonton as they are some of the more common species.

I would make a little change to plan#1. Instead of demasoni, I would put Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. Both are blue stripey fish but Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos have a better temperament. Demasoni can be very aggressive unless kept in big groups, and even then there is a risk.

Chantell ..... if this is your first mbuna tank, then perhaps going with M. cyaneorhabdos such as what Val just suggested might be a good idea. Cyaneorhabdos are more forgiving temperment wise, and will most likely be easier to find in Edmonton, and at a lower price, compared to demasoni. If you decide to go that route (cyano's & yellow labs) 15-20 of each species would be an adequate stocking level.

Thanks for all the advice!!

I am going to go with plan 2, 10 each

I think that will make a nice tank, all the colors!!

Now it is just a waiting game for the tank to finish its cycling.

i will use this time to find these fish.

Thanks again!!

Chantell

I have a few F2 Mel. Cyans growing out right now at 1/2 inch, last bunch I had sold out but these will be available soon. Give it a month and they will be 1-1.5 inches as i do lots of water changes.

Allan