New to fish, New to forum

Terrie Lee

Hello all.

I am new to tropical fish keeping. I was hooked by a flashy little petstore Betta who I named Jeffery Dahmer. After a year or so he died of dropsy, :( but he got me hooked.

I now have 3 corycats, and a single male swordtail in a 20 gallon tank. These were the only fish to survive my strange bout of nitrite problems.

I am spending most of my time dreaming about a 55 gallon community tank with a few "easy" plants in it.

I would like to do a ton of reading and learn a lot before I venture into plants.

I do have a question. If I have some livebearers who drop fry, how do I get rid of excess fish?

I would like to consider culling as a last resort.

Is this easy to do? Getting rid of fish? I really enjoy the courting process and watching the little tiny fry swim around the tank., but I do not want to be loaded down with fish and having crowded tanks.

We have many mrmbers who would take them from here on this site. You'll notice anything offered for "free" is pounced upon, and anything desirable being sold very reasonably has no problem finding homes either. Another option is to offer up for trade. Read through the forum rules , make sure you state what you want. If for sale , enter a price, if it's first response gets it then honor that too. If it's first show up gets it that works for some too. Always do a small list of those who respond incase the first person backs out or doesn't show .

:welcome:

Usually adult fish take care of your population problem. If not, I'm sure you'll find some help, here.

That is very good. I had some baby guppies for a very short time. Either bad luck or my ineptness seems to have killed them off, but I loved them! They were so tiny and cute and fantastic. I love watching the males court my girls too. I am glad to know that I would not have to have the house teeming with fish. Huband would have a bit of a problem with that!

I had about forty baby mollies that were so darn cute but just too many of them so I donated them to Petland on Macleod Trail.. If you call ahead and ask if they're accepting fish donations, they're pretty good about telling you to just drop by.

:welcome: welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcomes guys!

I just got back from Natures corner store where I bought my first Pleco.

I had no idea they changed colours like a chamelon.

I am even more hooked now!

Added:

Oh and by the way, I purchased 4 swortail girls to keep my little boy busy.

Edited by Terrie Lee