Favorite Cichlid foods

ChevyB

Whats everyones favorite Cichlid food? Do you find some bring out the colors more then others? I have had good success with Tetra and Omega 1. I tried Big Al's but found the flakes really were always so crushed near the bottom, more so then most others.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mix different foods, they don't allways get the same food for to long. That way if anyone buys the fish they have no trouble feeding what they have on hand.

I use an assortment of foods as well including a home made frozen salad.

Big Al's hey, funny they dont have it as a online choice too? Guess its a reason to stop in during the work day. Need some Eheim pads any how so might as well get the food too. I have never tried NLS but see some good things online about it.

Do you find some bring out the colors more then others?

Why yes, I do. http://www.cichlid-food-canada.com/gallery.html

I also think that as a community AA members should be supporting the vendors that support this site.

With regards to buying NLS in Edmonton, that would include Nature's Corner Store, Aquarium Enthusiasts, and Little Ocean's.

I feed my smaller fish NLS cichlid formula and Hikari Cichlid Complete. Both are excellent products with significantly different ingredients. I would say the fish slightly prefer the Hikari, and I personally greatly prefer the Hikari. The reason for both is the same...the sink rate. The Hikari is flat on one side and convex on the other, and the sink rate is slow enough to give the fish plently of time to move to eat it. The NLS has a hard time breaking the surface tension of the water and tends to spread all over before it starts sinking, often resulting on more food on the substrate than I would like. Even if I roll it between my fingers underwater first, the NLS still doesn't sink as well as the Hikari and tends to spread all over. This is not necessarily a problem if the fish are actively feeding. But I am powerfeeding some 2" dovii right now and when they are not going full bore I have to either feed the NLS almost one at a time or be prepared to clean up the leftovers. With the Hikari I pretty much drop it in as fast as they can eat it. And boy can they eat for their size. :D

HTH. BTW, I got my NLS at Petland in Red Deer. I'm not sure if the other locations carry it. And perhaps someone can tell me if their is an intermediate size of the NLS Cichlid Formula pellets. The larger ones are too big still for my 5" Escondido and she looks at the small ones with complete disinterest as they pass by her on the way to the convicts. Thanks.