Poll - Quarantine Tank...

nevchewy

Poll - Quarantine Tank...  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have only had one 2 bad experiences purchasing new fish...

Once i got Ich about 7 years ago that wiped out my commuity tank (tetras/guppies/corys ect...).

About 6 months ago i bought some fish from a fish store that will remain un-named(to prevent flaming). I have been really lucky with all my cichlids so far, but it ended up killing a few batches of babies. All is well now but this bad experience left was enough to change my ways.

My dad and I have setup a 20 gallon QT tank and are looking forward to the next auction to test it out.

I just wanted to see what everyones take on the subject was.

If you do use a QT tank please post size and how long you will leave the new fish in before adding to your show tanks.

Thanks!

nev

Edited by nevchewy

I put any extra sponge filters I have kicking around in my sump, and usually have at least one 15 gal tank kicking around. Instant QT! I actually have 2 running right now with another ready to go.

I had an incident last night at 'unsaid' LFS - told me over the phone they'd replace a fish that didn't last the night. They didn't tell me that they'd do whatever they could to make sure I knew that it was MY fault. @$$

i dont really have a qt.

i stick most new fish in a 10g with my guppies.

but i never had a problem.

plus usually its only new fish going into a new tank.

They only bad experiance i had was when we did qt the fish before hand.

although we will have one soon.

Edited by Shayesmommy

I put any extra sponge filters I have kicking around in my sump, and usually have at least one 15 gal tank kicking around. Instant QT! I actually have 2 running right now with another ready to go.

I had an incident last night at 'unsaid' LFS - told me over the phone they'd replace a fish that didn't last the night. They didn't tell me that they'd do whatever they could to make sure I knew that it was MY fault. @$$

Their mistake. They obviously didn't know who they were talking to lol

I don't have a QT for freshwater, but I do have a QT set up for my saltwater fish. Never had a freshwater tank wiped out (don't add new stock very often), but with the saltwater, I have to stock over several months. It's not worth the risk not to have a QT tank.

My SW QT is a 33 gallon, and I plan to QT for a month w/o any signs of disease.

Edited by Osprey

I usually have a empty 10-20g laying around that I'll use for QTing. Throw a piece of used sponge into the filter and i'm good to go. I usually like to QT for a few weeks to make sure everyone is healthy and doing well. Its easier to observe and deal with illness in a smaller tank then having to do it in a larger main tank.

Although, if I know the source of the fish(like getting them from a friend) then I dont' always QT.

I've usually got at least one empty tank sitting around as well, so if I were to add new fish to an established tank, I would most likely quarantine them (tank size would depend on fish, anything from a 5 to a 33). It's very rare for me to add fish to an established tank that aren't either my own growouts or from some else's fishroom whom I trust. But if for whatever reason I were getting new fish from a new source, I'd definitely quarantine them for a while (probably a month to 6 weeks).

Although, if I know the source of the fish(like getting them from a friend) then I dont' always QT.

Same, here. My QTs are for when I buy from a store on central filtration (did that for the 1st time in YEARS on the weekend... will be another decade before I do that again), or for when a fish gets beat up.

yeah i would quarantine my fish as all of mine have come from LFS's but I only have a little five gallon kicking around and I feel bad having to stick a cichlid in there but my wife won't let me get another tank until we get a bigger place.

I am going to start keeping a 10 0r 20 around to QT my fish. When I set up my pet store I plan to run a central filter system with individual UV lights on each tank. I will QT my fish before I put them out for sale.

Brad