Need help finishing this 10g...

blainetyson

I have finished changing gravel, adding plants, and moving fish.

This pic is of the lights, one is coralife colormax (9w) and the other is one bought at walmart (13w).

post-968-1171903757_thumb.jpg

As you can see the coralife gives the purple hue to the tank (i used one of each to show the difference).

post-968-1171904088_thumb.jpg

I was wondering which i should use? One of each, or 2 of the coralife, or 2 of the walmart brand?

So here is a better shot of the whole tank, used the walmart brands to get the best pic

post-968-1171903881_thumb.jpg

The skeleton has to stay, my oldest (5yrs) picked it out for this tank. But other then that....

Any suggestion would be helpful...

Also should i set up a co2 injector for this tank? Does it need it?

So far for fish in the tank is... 9 rasbora maculata (I lost one to the filter, that is why there is a sponge around the tube). I was thinking of adding some shrimp and maybe an oto. Any ideas??

Thanks for the help,

Chantell

Chantell: if you want to try CO2 on a small tank, you could do a 2 litre Coke bottle yeast reactor. Go to THE KRIB http://www.thekrib.com/

or the Aquatic Plants Digest

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/index.php

Both of these are excellent resources, but you will have to dig to find what you want to know:)

My only concern with CO2 on a tank this size is that as you add CO2, your PH goes down, and it is very easy to overdo it and have your PH crash.

The smaller the body of water, the less stable. It is do-able if you are conservative and take your time getting everything sorted out, but beware that a PH crash can take out all your fish in short order.

James

Edited by James (Western Canada)

I wouldn't worry about a PH crash with a DIY CO2 system with the water hardness in Edmonton.

As long as your fish aren't gasping for Oxygen, should be fine.

I run Pressurized CO2 in a 33gal, I inject to just before the fish get stressed from it.

Just my 2cents though. :D

I have a diy co2 on my 15g, only problem i have run into was when it run low, algae took advantage. I will look into Seachem Excel, see if that would be better.

With the walmart brand lights it is a 2.5 wpg, is there any better lights i could get that would work with this hood?

Quick q... I have been using tropica master grow fertilizer, I add about 4ml once a week.

Is this enough? or should i be adding more? is there other fertilizers i should be using with this stuff?

Thanks,

Chantell

The best lights for having a true 6500k rating are the Philips day light bulbs. There are some at wal-mart that say they are 6500k I have not tried them yet. Just remember if it dose not say the k rating it might not have a true daylight rating of 6500k.

Brad

Those screw-in flourescents come in a bunch of different wattages - 24W is the highest I've seen. It all depends on how fast you want your plants to grow. 2-4W per Gal is ideal.

What you mentioned with DIY CO2 is common. That's why most people will run 2 on offset weeks, or use pressurized CO2 - Excel is great for smaller tanks up to 20 gal!

If you're going to be using more the 2 WPG of light, and adding CO2, then you'll want to dose macronutrients in addition to TMG - check out some of the pinned articles on adding fertilizer. I use the Estimative Index method, and it works great for me... haven't used a test kit in years!

I have a diy co2 on my 15g, only problem i have run into was when it run low, algae took advantage. I will look into Seachem Excel, see if that would be better.

With the walmart brand lights it is a 2.5 wpg, is there any better lights i could get that would work with this hood?

Quick q... I have been using tropica master grow fertilizer, I add about 4ml once a week.

Is this enough? or should i be adding more? is there other fertilizers i should be using with this stuff?

Thanks,

Chantell

i found that the 13w mini was the biggest i could fit into this hood, but i will see if i can get bigger. I would like to have 3wpg, but this might be the best i can do without changing hoods.

I am going to buy more test kits at the end of the week, right now i have just been using the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. i guess once i do that i will better know how much fertilizer to add.

Thanks,

Chantell

Phillips makes a 25 watt screw in flourescent light.