new fish in the aquarium, how long until they are'nt so skiddish?

CalgaryFan

They yellow labs I got for Hosstile constantly hide, and I'm not sure if they are still in shock from the ride over, or what's going on. I am really new to the whole baby scene, although they aren't babies, they are still pretty small. Is something wrong, or will they eventually get better? If I sneak my head in the door without them seeing me, they seem to come out from the rocks, but soon as they see me, they swim away, they also seem to swim in 'jerky' styles, like a burst here, a burst there? Just wondering, thanks.

ryan

If the labs were added first, they may be just adjusting to the new tankmates.

My lab fry from punman were only 1/2" when I got them and they have been sociable from day one. They are the life of my grow out tank so far.

We'll see what happens when they go into the fully stocked 90 gallon.

Caeruleus usually aren't all that shy IME.

Baby lab fry - less than an inch - have never been shy whether on their own or with other fish.

However, I have found that over an inch in length are often skittish unless there are other outgoing fish in the tank.

Edited by punman

I can shed some light on this, as another one of my "experiments," I placed four juvey labs in my community tank with guppys, barbs, tetras, pencilfish, loaches, catfish, and plecos in a very heavily planted 55 gal. tank. 2 of the 4 mated and spit 7 kiddees, 4 of which I gave to Ryan for free. They are originally from Dwayne's stock (punmans) about 5 generations since. They put up a hell of a fight, trying not to get caught, and I suspect after spending nearly 24 hours in a bag, from what I hear was with WCs until they could be picked up, I would be a tad rattled myself. They look to be in a "normal," African enviroment now with rocks and no plants with Demasonis which are skittish fish at the best of time. I guess what I am saying is that these fish have to get used to you and their new tank, in other words "don't sweat it," and unless you have got a scary butt ugly face, they will learn to like you. :smokey: BTW Dwayne they are at least an inch long.

Edited by HOSStile

I moved the 55 up to my daughters room last weekend. Re-arranged the rockwork and put the same fish back in the tank. And they know me. And they would almost feed out of my hand before. But now, they are skiddish as all hell. I guess what I am trying to say is just give it some time. Leon