Hello from Edmonton

FrogFan23

As I am sure you can guess by my username, I am a big fan of amphibians. For the moment, my specific interest is in aquatic amphibians. This tends to make my needs a little more unusual than most amphibian keepers, as I need to understand the aquarium management about as much as I need to understand amphibian husbandry.

I am not entirely new to the hobby. I was big into terrestrial amphibians about ten years ago and was just trying to get into aquariums at that time. Due to my lack of understanding, it was somewhat of a disasterous first attempt. Life took me in another direction for awhile and I got out of the hobby altogether. I got back into it a little over a year ago after a chance encounter at a pet store renewed my interest in African clawed frogs.

I'm doing so much better this time around that I now have twelve froglets that I raised from eggs laid by my adults. (Now, I just have to find them homes ... :rolleyes: )

What started out as a single 23Gal aquarium has blossomed into five tanks for myself and one large community tank for my wife. I have four adult ACFs, one juvenile axolotl (that I was so lucky to find), and a guppy colony that I am trying to develop as a eventual food supply for my amphibians. I also have a growing interest in freshwater shrimp, specifically glass shrimp and RCS. I find them very useful for managing hair algae in my amphibian tanks. Finding enough RCS in the pet stores to establish a colony is quite a challenge these days, however.

I am very happy to have finally found an aquarium forum for people that live in the same area as I do. Makes it so much easier to discuss dealing with water conditions and such ...

:D

:welcome: to AA! I've never owned a frog, closest I've been is collecting frog eggs out in the flooded feild in front of my parent's place in the spring and hatching them out in a tank. I found it great fun to watch the tadpoles. I released them back shortly after that though as at that time (20 years back), I realized I had no idea of how or what to feed them and if I didn't return them I'd starve them . Hummmm I wonder if they would do well as pest control in my garden if I tried the tadpole thing now and raised up some wittle froglets.........possibly another project ;D Sue

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to hear that there are other amphibian fans on this board.

I have two pigmented/regular male ACFs, one pigmented female that might be a X. borealis cross-breed, and a somewhat rare reticulated albino female that I special-ordered through Ward's Natural Science. No regular albinos so far.

The reticulated albino is the mother of my froglets. Sadly, none of them are albino.

Welcome to the board.

Personally, I have only caudates at the moment....my faves being my Pleurodeles waltl.

If you really enjot the aquatics, you should take a trip down to Calgary and visit Riverfront Aquariums...we have several very nice Typhlonectes natans in right now....not something you see very often.

:welcome: This is a great forum with a few amphibian keepers as well.