new stand

dunl

Just built the frame tonight, but the plan is for a 77 on top, and three 10g's on the bottom of the stand, turned sideways. The front will be covered with plywood, and hinged so that the tanks can be seen through the windows, but the cover can be hinged and opened upwards to hook onto the top canopy for access to those bottom tanks.

Here goes....

post-18-1177825657_thumb.jpg

Cool plans. Will need some pictures after you are completed. There are definately some ingenious plans out there, I wish I would have done more planning for mine lol. Good luck with the rest of the build.

Not completed, but here goes....

Wood cut and laid out to ensure proper measurements...

e9b271e5.jpg

Supervisors doing their usual thing....

e9b271e4.jpg

Screw holes pre-drilled to ensure wood doesn't split....

e9b271e6.jpg

Time to break out the heavy equipment.....all twelve ounces.

e9b271e3.jpg

Starting to take shape....

e9b270ba.jpg

Edited by dunl

Here's where it gets interesting, and where flames may start. The 2x4 stands I saw on the net mostly consisted of the legs being screwed into the SIDE of the frame, or vice versa - leaving the screws supporting most of the weight. I wanted the weight soley on the 2x4 legs, and for them not to move.

The solution?

e9b26fd6.jpg

There is no way those legs will move unless forcibly shaken...and that's not going to happen.

Legs attached....

e9b26fd4.jpg

Another view....

e9b26fbd.jpg

I used OSB to cover the top and bottom shelves because it was cheap, but more importantly, already here. It will be covered eventually...

e9b26f7f.jpg

Foam layer on top....

e9b26ec1.jpg

Functionally finished. I am not planning at this time to finish off the front of the stand and canopy, etc, but rather to get it in use in the fish room where I need the space it will make available.

Edited by dunl

Very nice! The overall look of it is actually very eye pleasing. How much did you spend on this? I think I spent like 12.00 on mine because I had all the wood in the shed lol.

By the way, I really like your solution to the weight on the screws, very smart idea I'm sure that will work awesome.

Very nice! The overall look of it is actually very eye pleasing. How much did you spend on this? I think I spent like 12.00 on mine because I had all the wood in the shed lol.

By the way, I really like your solution to the weight on the screws, very smart idea I'm sure that will work awesome.

I don't know. $40, maybe so far?

Thanks all.

Looking Good Darcy. How long did it take you?

Well, worked on it for 2 hours on Saturday night, and about an hour last night. That was working on it piece by piece, planning as I went. I would say to do another....1 hour, now that I know what I'm doing, just to get it to that point.